ANST - A question about footwear

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Jan 3 10:16:22 PST 2000

Happy Millenium All,

I noticed in the current Black Star a mention that all entrants
into the Queen's Champion list must wear period footwear.
I admit that I have some questions about this. For one, what
is meant by period footwear? Must the footwear be matching
the garb and century of the fighter? Who will determine what
is appropriate and what isn't? Are Tivar's Nikes inappropriate
or is it just to remove white tennis shoes and combat boots
from the list? How period must the footwear be? Can modern
English riding boots or the non-period thigh highs be worn?
I think this issue should be clarified for those who wish to compete
in the list ahead of time so that proper research can be done and
if needed, a proper cobbler hired so a person can fight.

I understand there is a desire to have a more period appearance
on the field but I think a vague sentence in the Black Star which
could possibly have a worthy gentle removed from a list as
important as Queens should be more detailed. If Her Highness
or one who advises Her could respond with a bit more detail I'm
sure many students of the duello would be very appreciative.

Yers,

Gunthar