ANST - Questions about Kings & Queens

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Wed Jan 5 06:52:27 PST 2000

> > What do people mean when they talk about an "ineffective crown"?

> An ineffective crown is one that basically rides out the rein without
doing
> anything spectacular nor stirring up the water. These are the ones
that
> may not be remembered by the mass of the people. ON the other hand,
they
> are better in my opinion that those "bad crowns".

I don't think this is completely accurate. Rather, an ineffective
crown is one that does not take care of problems when they arise and
does not give recognition that is deserved. It is entirely possible
for a crown to have a reign where no Peers, WS, etc. are ready to be
made and there is no great disaster for them to fix. They cruise
through their reign giving such lower level recognition as is deserved
and making such decisions as are needed in a wise, considered way.

More likely is that the crown DID have quite a few problems to deal
with and they did so quietly so YOU never heard about it. These people
have simply chosen not to embarrass their subjects by displaying the
dirty laundry.

I know we had a reign recently where no WS were made -- and most of us
were profoundly grateful. That did not mean that crown ignored us or
that their job among the WS was easy but most people (especially those
outside the rapier community) probably never heard about any of that.

Being an ineffective crown comes from failure to act when needed, not
just lack of action.

Don Christian Dore