ANST - A question about footwear

Alexis drwise at swbell.net
Mon Jan 3 21:53:20 PST 2000

Greetings Sir Gunther and everyone else:

 Can modern
> English riding boots or the non-period thigh highs be worn?
> I think this issue should be clarified for those who wish to compete
> in the list ahead of time so that proper research can be done and
> if needed, a proper cobbler hired so a person can fight.

Just to clear up a misconception, according to a couple of nice
illuminations in King Rene's books, thigh high boots are perfectly
period (c. 1457).  In Le Cueur d'Amours Espris (The Book of the Heart
Possessed by Love) c. 1457, there are two distinct pictures showing the
classical thigh high boot, albeit with the pointier toes appropriate to
the era.  These are also found in Rene's Livre des Tournois
(1460-1465).  The principle difference is that these would have been
made as a turn-shoe without a stacked heel, rather that with a welt as
in a modern shoe.  The illustrations are in Medieval Pageant, Holme,
Bryon (1987), pgs 86-88, ISBN 0-500-01421-3 (neat book with lots of cool
illustrations).  See also Shoes and Pattens, Medieval Finds From
Excavations in London, Museum of London (1988) ISBN 0-11-290443-2 (the
shoe bible).

Sir Alexis LaBouche
occasional cordwainer (=shoe maker), not cobbler (=shoe repairer)