ANST - Kadayif

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Thu Jan 6 12:40:33 PST 2000

I had said earlier:
> I'm afraid I don't even know what this Kadayif is, much less
> know if it is period or have a recipe.

Sigh. Now, had the original requester asked for the pastry
known as "young girl's breasts", *that* I would have recognized.
And I believe there is a recipe in the pastries-msg or dessert-msg
files in the Florilegium.

I actually had some of these (the pastry I mean) at a Middle
Eastern pastries class at this last Gulf Wars. They were very
good. Very sweet.

One of the two recipes posted so far calls for:
1 lb kunafeh pastry, bought or homemade (shredded pastry)

The other calls for:
shredded phyllo(fillo)dough or
   1 package (16 oz. size) Frozen Kataifi, defrosted

The phyllo dough I'm familar with comes in a roll of very thin
sheets, not shredded. Is this shredded phyllo dough/kunafeh/kataifi
something I will likely find in the grocery store? Or is there
some other specialty store I should look for it at? Is it available
fresh  or dried as well as frozen?

Thanks.
  Lord Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net