ANST - Bjornsborg Out-of-Date?

C. L. Ward gunnora at realtime.net
Sun Jan 9 00:41:36 PST 2000

>    Greetings.  Having recently relocated to south Texas--and knowing of the
>SCA, I linked to the San Antonio(Baronial) web site to gather information.
>Having done so, I now have a quesion to pose to the Kingdom.  Are ALL SCA
web
>sites in this Kingdom as OUTDATED as San Antonio?

Actually, taking a quick look at the Bjornsborg website
(http://lonestar.texas.net/~rferrell/), which is maintained by Master
Cynric of Bedwyn <rferrell at texas.net> it has quite recently been updated -
the new Baron and Baroness are listed, as is the new seneschal.  There is a
current link on the "Gold of the Nomads" exhibit at the local Museum of
Art.  There is a link to the upcoming fiber arts festival/collegium behing
held by the Bjornsborg spinner's group.  I think it was updated Dec 12,
which is pretty darn current as far as I am concerned for an all-volunteer
effort.

>    I ask this because ( according to the site) I read that the monthly
>meeting there was to be held in Leon Valley.  Was there last Monday until
>8:30pm (over an hour)  for SOMEONE to show up--NO ONE EVER DID.
>Last Tuesday  I returned to Leon Valley to attend Rapier Practice (web site
>stated it was  to be there) and AGAIN nothing.

Did you perhaps try to email or call any of the responsible officers
(http://lonestar.texas.net/~rferrell/officers.html), say, Lord Dominic
<txourtx at yahoo.com>,  the Seneschal about the populace meeting, or the
Rapier Marshal, Marcus Blackwell <beaz at world-net.net> about the Rapier
Practice?

We're still in the holiday season (which in the SCA can stretch to include
12th Night and Candlemas) -- many times meetings are rescheduled or moved
to accomodate busy mundane schedules etc. at this time of year.  Weekend
practices may be poorly attended or be totally cancelled if enough of the
barony is travelling to an event that weekend. Outdoor practices are also
frequently called off in inclement weather.

It's always a good idea to call and check on SCA meetings rather than
relying solely on web information, because the web usually won't reflect
this type of thing.  You'll note that the website *specifically* points out
that the site is subject to change on the baronial meeting, and gives a
link for the Seneschal.

>Lastly, I went to the "Favorite Links",
>clicked on the Tourney de Lionesse site, and ALL of the information was for
>an event that was held LAST MARCH -- either that or the announcement date
was
>entered incorrectly.

Now, this one I can speak authoritatively about, as I maintain the
Lyonnesse website (http://www.realtime.com/~gunnora/lyonnesse/).  Yes, that
is the link to last March's Lyonnesse.  It will reflect last March up to
the point at which the autocrat of Lyonnesse 2000 gets off his slow
Norwegian backside and sends me the updated information.  The event
location will be *exactly* the same as last year (and all the many years
before it), and it will be in early March of this year, before Gulf Wars.
If you want more information about Lyonnesse, contact this year's autocrat,
Master Ivar Runamagi <ivar_runamagi at hotmail.com>.

>    If all SCA sites are this way, how can (prospective) NEW people, like
>myself, find out information?

Use that completely antique and outdated implement, the telephone.  Call
any of the listed officers. If you're very new, consider calling the
Hospitaller, who can help you with information specifically designed to
help get you started.

>Some of the information indicated it was last
>updated DEC. 26th, 1999, but (if so) why wasn't the meeting and fighter
>practice included in that update?

I have to ask why on earth you are basically attempting to try and convict
the Bjornsborg webmaster on an email list such as this one.  The correct
action to take, if you have problems with a website's function or content,
is to contact the maintainer directly.  This is easy to do, as Master
Cynric has his address posted at the bottom of the page, and I've listed it
above.

The SCA as a whole isn't great on rigid schedules.  Bjornsborg is even less
so than many other SCA groups.  *ANY* meeting whose time and date are
published in the newsletter or on the website can change - either due to
being moved, rescheduled, or cancelled.  If in doubt, call the appropriate
officer for the activity in question, or drop them an email.

>    Just concerned, and now wonder if the SCA is really for me.  If I cannot
>rely on the web for current information, then how can ANYONE?       Thanks.

Give up now if the web is your only resource.  There are no guarantees
anywhere about the accuracy or timeliness of *any* information on the web.
The web is, in fact, notorious throughout for outdated, inaccurate
information.

Instead of venting your spleen because you missed connections, try
communicating directly with the officers responsible for the various
activities and get your information first hand from the person who has to
run the event or meeting.  If you're not sure who the right person would be
to ask, write me privately and I will tell you, or better yet write the
Hospitaller, whose job it is to help you with that sort of information.

Hope this helps.

::GUNNORA::
mailto:gunnora at bga.com

The Viking Answer Lady Webpage