ANST - (no subject)

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Mon Jan 10 07:52:58 PST 2000

... current pgp public key for jyeates at realtime.net available at
certserver.pgp.com

> I tend to disagree with Ld. Pieter.  This is a valid
> complaint and was not exaggerated...very straight forward
> and matter of fact that the site was out of date and needed
> help.  If people can't make a polite and legitimate complaint
> about the SCA, then something is very, very wrong.

unfortunately, typical scadian behaviour ... "rally around the flag
and bash the neophyte".  any wonder why it's so hard to grow the
organization and retain membership.  sure, *we* know from the inside
that sca information is usually ou6t of date, incorrect, posted times
mean nothing, etc (long standing matters that should be addressed),
but a new person does not.  and the cop-out that they "should have
called someone" dosn't hold water ... remember that the person stated
they were new, and most new folks are hesitant to make such contacts
... most need a few "observation" sessions before they'll approach
people.

lessons learned here ...

1.  if you are supporting a online site that advertises critical
group information (who, what, where), you have a *obligation* to
either keep it current or take it down.  bad information is usually
worse than no information.

2. cut the neophytes some slack.  you killing your beloved
organization a little bit more every time you stick your nose in the
air and adopt the holier-than-thou, scadian-self-rightious attitudes
that are all too common from people who have forgotten what it means
to be a frustrated new-comer.

3. the sca is not the be-all / end-all of the universe, you co-exist
in other spheres you have no control over and are dependent upon
them.  in this case, the web is *the* primary information source for
the next generations that the organization needs to stay healthy.
better to learn to use it, on it's terms and don't try to impose
old-sca standards upon them (ie: the aceptance of out of date
information) of make the idiotic statement that it dosn't matter (in
any other corporate structure in the real world, write off the web as
a irrelevent information source and where would you be?) ... as a
corollary, don't rail at people for being frustrated when they run
into the infamous "wall of lud" that this organization tries to erect
around itself.

the real loser in all the the organization as a whole, since it seems
that several of the  self-rightous flag wavers who chose to chastise
instead of listen and try to correct a standing problem have
alienated and driven away yet another person interested enough to try
to get involved and bring some new blood and energy into a slowly
dieing organization.

'wolf