question .... RE: ANST - Gulf War Archery and Seige

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Tue Jan 11 17:27:19 PST 2000

j'lynn yeates wrote:
> here's a thought ... racket ball rackets lobbing tennis balls for
> those wishing to be early period "slingers" (grin)
>
> 'wolf

Yes, I have considered doing the sling thing. I had not gotten as
far as determining the appropriate ammunition, though I imagine I
was thinking of the tennis balls. I have been corresponding with
a non-SCA individual who has been doing some work with slings. If
I remember correctly, he was consistantly hitting a man-sized
target at a hundred feet. But he was using rocks, not tennis
balls.

My understanding is that it does take some practice to get this
good, though.

And (of course), for those interested in more info, take a look
at this file in the COMBAT section of my Florilegium:
slings-msg        (34K)  3/22/99    Slings as weapons. combat and hunting.

The Florilegium is at: http://www.florilegium.org

I have pasted a few snippets from this file below.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net
----------

> From: brainjunky at aol.com (BrainJunky)
> Newsgroups: rec.org.sca
> Subject: Slings- a follow up
> Date: 26 Oct 1996 00:28:03 -0400

> Have been using old cassette tapes from my dictaphone as the projectile.
> They fit nicely into the cradle and make a big noise. Not bad aerodynamics
> also.
>
> I start with an underhand swing to get speed then I go over hand in a loop
> above my head. Then release.
>
> And you know what, Those buggers can really fly.
>
> Also, accuracy is not that bad. I have a tendency to go high. But, other
> than that I'm consistently hitting a 1 and 1/2 ft square at 30 paces. I
> suspect that slings don't require the years of practice that is often
> stated.

> Rob

> From: "Ballard, Lynn" <Lynn.Ballard at UNISYS.com>
> To: "'lindahl at pbm.com'" <lindahl at pbm.com>