ANST - FW: 12th night photos

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Thu Jan 13 07:04:52 PST 2000

*IF* this whole concept of private site vs SCA site is true, then you
need to be sure the link is not transparent. That is, it must be
obvious that the viewer is leaving the SCA site and going to a private
site. Simply placing it on another machine will not do it if it looks
to the viewer like they are still on the SCA's site.

Actually though, I doubt it is really so simple as private vs SCA
site. I suspect it has to do with public vs private appearance,
whether the subject should of had a reasonable expectation of privacy,
whether the photo is used for commercial purposes, the nature of the
photo, compensation for the model, whether the subject was actually
acting as a model, whether we refuse to remove the picture when
requested, etc. No, I'm not a lawyer of legal expert on first
amendment vs privacy rights, but it does not take one to see that what
has been given here is way too simplistic to reflect the legal
reality. Perhaps the lawyer(s) dumbed it down in order to give us a
simple rule to follow, or he/she/they made a broad statement to cover
his/her/their backside(s). It is probably SAFE to keep those pictures
on a private site, and if we put them on an SCA site we would have to
figure out some of the other factors I mentioned.

I suspect this falls into the same category as the restriction we use
to have against minors fighting, i.e. tenuous legal reasoning at best.
Remember, we had lawyers' opinions on that too saying it was POSSIBLE
that it could be a problem for us under just the right conditions. The
case law did not change, but now we have minors who fight rapier, hard
suit and boffer.