Pincushions (was RE: ANST - Slings)

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Jan 13 12:46:36 PST 2000

Keith Hood wrote:

> > > Agreed. In fact there was a "game" amongst Crusader knights to see
> > > who could come back with the most arrows stuck in their armor.
> > > Until the advent of the longbow the arrow was not a major factor
> > > against the  heavily armored knights.
>
> I remember hearing some time in the past, that Richard and some other Crusade
> leaders made special efforts to make sure their knights and men at arms were
> equipped with very thick felt underclothes.  Most likely, mail by itself,
> lying close to the body, did not offer enough resistance to arrows to keep
> them from digging in deep.  But with the felt under the mail, the combination
> of that dense fiber mat, with the friction between the arrow shaft and
> adjacent links, slowed the arrow enough to keep it from pentrating flesh.

I've heard this as well. But also don't forget the fact that the rich Crusader
knights often wore up to 4 layers of chainmail over certain vulnerable areas.

> (Lot more than anyone cared to hear on the subject, right?<G>)

Not really. I'm learning stuff and I think it's neat!
Besides, this list needed a good, old-fashioned intellectual argument.
Unless somebody brings up the "P" word we haven't had anything to argue
about.

>      Tomonaga

Yers,

Gunthar