Pincushions (was RE: ANST - Slings)

Carolyn Smith Pennington mara_of_rede at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 22:19:54 PST 2000

--- "H.L. Agnarr Thorvaldsson"
<agnarr at apex2000.net> wrote:
 I bet most
> of them were very uncomfortable most of the
> time.
>
> Agnarr
Sounds kind of like an Ansteorran summer; anyone
for heavy felt underneath all that armour, next
August?
When we were coming back from the first Gulf War
we stopped in Vicksburg at the National Cemetery,
and saw the heavily wooded ravines where soldiers
of the Civil War towed cannons and other
armaments up and down hills through
next-to-impassable underbrush, trees, 356 degree
inclines, etc., in July, in wool uniforms. Having
just (barely) survived the "War the trees won",
we had a greater understanding and sympathy for
what they accomplished.
I know where there is a wonderful running account
of Richard I Lionheart's march to relieve the
seige at Acre, facing heat and Muslim archers
every step of the way, if anyone is
interested....

Mara

=====