ANST - Leap Year (was The New **********)

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Thu Jan 6 13:17:41 PST 2000

Greetings from Michael Silverhands, who's been accused of being your friendly
local pedant (look it up *grin*):

Please see <http://www.rog.nmm.ac.uk/leaflets/leapyear/leapyear.html>, which
says (in part):

Information Leaflet No. 48: `Leap Years'

LEAP YEARS

The calendar year is 365 days long, unless the year is exactly divisible by 4,
in which case an extra day is added to February to make the year 366 days long.
If the year is the last year of a century, eg. 1700, 1800, 1900, 2000, then it
is only a leap year if it is exactly divisible by 400. Therefore, 1900 wasn't a
leap year but 2000 will be.

[snip]

Pope Gregory XIII, in 1582, instituted the Gregorian calendar, which has been
used since then.

The change from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian involved the change of the
simple rule for leap-years to the more complex one in which century years should
only be leap-years if they were divisible by 400. For example, 1700, 1800 and
1900 are not leap-years whereas 2000 will be.

[snip]

Produced by the Information Services Department of the Royal Greenwich Observatory.