ANST - Black Knight?

Dennis O'Connor dmoc at primenet.com
Sat Jan 8 14:53:01 PST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain" <padraig_ruad at irishbard.com>
To: <ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG>
Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2000 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: ANST - Black Knight?

> Tamlin said:
>
> <snip>
> > Edward The Black Prince
> >  b. June 15, 1330, Woodstock, Oxfordshire, Eng.
> >  d. June 8, 1376, Westminster, near London
> >
> > also called EDWARD OF WOODSTOCK, PRINCE D'AQUITAINE, PRINCE OF WALES, DUKE
OF
> >CORNWALL, EARL OF CHESTER, son and heir apparent of Edward III of England
> >

> Just a bit of trivia to follow Tamlin's excellent info on the Black Prince -
there is (or was, when I was last there in 1987) a pub in the town of Woodstock,
Oxfordshire, England, called "The Black Prince", with a knight in black armour
on its sign.  As I recall, they served an excellent locally made real ale.  I
had not made the connection before (having been more concerned with the quality
of the beer than the name of the pub), but now realize that it must have been
named for Prince Edward.  Even after having lived in England for nearly 10
years, I still get pleasantly surprised at the connection there between modern
life and thousands of years of history.