ANST - Questions about Kings & Queens (long-Gunthar talking)

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Jan 10 15:44:32 PST 2000

Hello Amy,

I know this was sent out a while ago and I have seen several comments
on your questions but I would like to add a little bit to the pile as well.

> I'm interested in learning more about the
> "crown".  Please excuse me if I ask silly or difficult questions.

I find no reason for you to apologize for these questions. They are questions
that even those "old-timers" wonder about. I'm still a newbie after being
in only around 16 years. Goodness! Where does the time go? I'm still a
teenager after all!

>      I have a general ideal of what the King/Queen does,

I found your little typo a bit amusing and illuminating. I know you meant to
type "idea" but I think "ideal" it actually a better word. We'll first talk
about
the meaning of the typo and then discuss what you actually said. The "ideal"
Crown is different for every member of the SCA. Some like their Crowns to be
aloof and majestic. Full of power and fury. Others like a "Mom and Dad".  Loving

of their children and beloved by all. Yet for others the "ideal" Crown is one
of them. Laughing and remembering that this is a game after all. For each of
these, if the other is on the throne then that Crown is slightly lacking.

Now as to you having an idea of what the Crown does. It is funny how so many
people who have been in for many years still cannot truly comprehend all that
a Crown does unless they have been Crown or CLOSE entourage. Even after
being a knight for over eight years and close friends of several Crowns I was
unprepared for all that went into being King. I knew that Crowns sat in Court
and gave out awards and recieved loads of goodies from the adoring populace.
I knew they sat and gave judgement in Circle. I knew they went to events
almost every weekend but that was okay because when they got there they
got on site free and got free meals and didn't have to really work, no fighting,

no cleaning up, etc...  They always said how much being Crown sucked but
always wanted to do it again. Okay. So I knew all about being Crown.

And then the King placed the Circlet of the Prince upon my brow. Thus I was
removed from my comfortable womb of non-Royalty and entered into the Real
World of the Crown. As an example. I didn't even have a chance to change out
of my armor before I was sitting in a Pelican meeting. After that I showered,
changed and ate. As soon as I was through with dinner I sat in a Belted Circle
until the arrival of the unknowing Princess arrived. Court was quickly assembled

and she got the surprise of her life. After Court was the continuation of the
Belted
Circle (we could see the party our household was having), from the Belted Circle

we went to a Great Officers of State meeting which finally concluded around 1:30

in the morning. By the time the new Prince and Princess got back to camp
everyone
had gone to bed. Welcome to the fun-filled life of Royalty.

Crowns put in a lot of hours in the week dealing with phone calls, award
recommendations,
planning for the next event, fixing problems that arise in the Kingdom, washing,
unpacking,
packing, writing reports and submissions to the newsletter, having people over
all
the time, etc...
But then they get to go to the event and be King and Queen. In our 6 months as
Crown
we got 3 weekends at home. We went from Northkeep to La Marche Sauvage, from
Bordermarche to Adlersruhe. Remember that we were in the spotlight not just when

we arrived on site but even when home. Frequently, instead of meeting the people
of
the kingdom as we desired, we had to be sequestered with local personages to
attend
to problems that only the Crown could fix. We got to sit watch the fighting
instead of
being out there and having fun too. Often we missed the fighting because members
of
the populace would approach us to chat. Talking with our populace was a true
joy. And
definately worth missing a couple of fights.

As Crown I got to sit in a crowded room filled with other high personages and
decide
to cancel Gulf War and tell 4000 people to go home. But at that same time I got
see people from all kingdoms helping each other out and having a party to defy
the
elements. I still get a tear when I remember the ovation the populace gave us in

that damp court. That's a tenth of what a Crown does.

> but what are the
> most difficult things a king/queen has to do?

All of your questions are simple but all have many levels of answers. The most
difficult?
->Going against a friend's wishes because you feel what you do is right for the
Kingdom.
->Going against YOUR wishes because you feel what you do is right for the
Kingdom.
->Keeping a smile on your face when everything is crashing down around you.
->Not getting drunk, or having a dalliance with that cute little thing flirting
with you or
throwing a tantrum when little things build up because you are the Crown and
everything
you do is a reflection of your Kingdom.
->Being diplomatic when you really want to tell someone to get stuffed.
->Having huge arguments with your consort on whether or not to give an award.
->Driving, driving, driving.
->Seeing your friends having to setup or break camp and working their tails off
while
you sit in meetings and aren't allowed to help them.

> What makes a "good"crown? What
> do people mean when they talk about an "ineffective crown"?

This depends on what you look for in a Crown. Do they match what a Crown is
supposed
to be in your head? Then they are a good Crown. I guess for me a good Crown is a
Crown who
cares more for the Kingdom than they do for themselves or their friends. A Crown
who
looks at the populace as their family and all special instead of people to serve
them.
The best Crown is a Crown who makes it happen for the populace. They make you
proud to
be Ansteorran. The best Crown is one where you feel they have no problems
because they
take care of the nasty stuff away from the crowd and deal with it before it gets
big.

An ineffective Crown is a Crown that is forgotten two reigns later. A Crown that
does neither
real bad or real good. But they also don't inspire the populace. The populace
goes about its
business and does the courtesy thing but really don't feel one way or the other
or look forward
to seeing what the next Crown brings.

Bad Crowns make things interesting. They put their themselves above the populace
and
will weild whatever power they have like a club. They will bring shame upon the
kingdom
and definately start conversations. Their replacements are usually welcomed
enthusiastically.
But several bad Crowns in a row can drop a kingdom to low levels of morale and
chaos. It takes
a strong Crown to repair the damage.

> Thank you in advance for helping me understand.

I don't know if I've helped you understand anything. Several people have added
their ieas and
this is just some of mine. The only way you will learn about Crowns is to see
them in
action and judge for yourself.

Good luck, Amy and I hope you find out.

> Amy