ANST - web sites etc.

Eileigh MacEoghan eileigh at icqmail.com
Tue Jan 11 05:31:16 PST 2000

As a relative newcomer to the SCA,  I have been watching this discussion
with a bit of interest.

When we first thought about joining this group, we turned to the web to
locate the group nearest us.  We went to the main site, www.sca.org,
then went through each page until it led us to our local Barony.  There
wasn't much information about meeting times and places, but there WAS a
phone number.  We called and were given the information we were
seeking....and also were politely told that the person we had called no
longer held the position she was listed under; yet she was still willing
to help!  We were lucky!!  The phone number was still good, and the
person still willing to help newcomers.

Since then we have looked at many other SCA sites.  Not all, but most,
are at least two months out of date, at least on their calendars.  If we
were to decide that we wanted to attend an event listed, we wouldn't be
sure that the information was correct at all.  We aren't paying members
yet, though that is in the works, so we don't have the Black Star to
give us site information..we must rely on others to get that from.

If we were people looking to attend our first event, and had noone to
get current information from, we would most likely be out of luck.

The web site for a group is possibly the first representation of that
group to a newcomer.  It should be as up to date as possible so as to
give the best possible first impression to the public...and therefore
represent its group in the best possible light.

Eileigh