ANST - old problem, new format (was: anonymous post about website)

Charlene Charette charlene at flash.net
Mon Jan 17 00:49:08 PST 2000

carl wrote:

> Mara - not to pick on you alone - but this is all a bunch of sanctimonious moat
> scum.  Get a little empathy would you.  This person moved to a new town, went
> looking for the SCA online.  Found what looked like perfectly good info (the
> site had been recently updated) and used it...not once, but twice and got burned
> both times.  Then, in frustration, gaaked all over the ANST list and got stomped
> for it!

Actually what we have just experienced is a high tech version of an old problem.
Nine years ago we tried to join the SCA (my husband had heard about it in college).
Somehow he found out where fighter practice was.  We went and not one person was
there.  We ended up going on three different Sundays and each time there was not a
soul there.  Now, what we didn't know then was one weekend was a local event, one
was coronation, one was some other large event, etc.  Next François found out about
the newcomer households.  Got a time, day, and address.  Showed up and there was a
"sorry, cancelled" sign on the door.  OK, emergencies come up.  Next, François the
ever resourceful, found out about populace meetings.  We finally found people.  Went
to a meeting or two.  Volunteered.  Got involved.  Persistence pays off.

Now, I admit we never ran into anyone who as rude.  We both understood that breaking
into a new group in any hobby takes some initiative.  One of our first events was a
coronation.  Bad move for newcomers.  We were confused, bored, and left alone while
everyone was in meetings.  We found some other newcomers and spent time with them.

Since this experience I try to stress to people not to send a newcomer to a practice
or meeting unless you know for a fact that someone will be there who can welcome
them.

--Perronnelle