ANST - Life of a Crown

Gavin Stuart gavinstuart at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 08:59:00 PST 2000

Greetings all!

I have not been in the SCA long, a little over a year.
I do not usually post to this list, just read and
glean copious amounts of information, but as I was
reading, I found myself touched by both Gunthar and
Elysandre's commentary on the aspects, benefits, joys
and hardships of bearing the crown of Ansteorra. I
must say, it is refreshing to see an "old timer," as
it were, speak so highly of our knigdom and its
people. So many people I speak to have a rather bleak
outlook on the way our kingdom is run from the inside.
I'm a cynic by nature, but for some reason, mayhaps my
search for the dream, simply would not allow me to
believe such a dim and wearying viewpoint as what I
heard.

That has all been swept away now. I have been
searching for a reason to believe in this Kingdom and
its people, its rulers, its ideals. Gunthar was "my
king," he was the first King I ever saw. He inspired
me with his speeches, [long though they were,] ;)  he
showed me from afar what the SCA was supposed to be.
There are good and bad sides to every issue, but the
bright side seems to shine through now, in everything
I see, every political happening, from the local level
to kingdom wide.

All that to say this:

Thank you Gunthar, and all of you who show we newbies
the Dream, and how to act accordingly.

In pursuit of the Dream,

Gavin Stuart
mka Paul Woolsey