ANST - ESTRELLA WAR XVI INFO COMPENDIUM

Matthew Richardson mattkatie at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 27 10:46:22 PST 2000

Friends,

We have been asked to assist in the distribution of information about the upcoming Estrella War XVI at Schnepf Farms (February 16 - 21, 2000).  As part of that effort, we have compiled this email containing copies of recent information that may be useful to those of you who plan to travel to Estrella this year.  Included are missives about:

- SITE OPERATIONS & IMPROVEMENTS FOR ESTRELLA WAR 2000
- RECENT PICTURES OF CAMPING AREA & BATTLE PIT
- TRANSPORTATION FROM AIRPORT TO ESTRELLA WAR

- UPS SHIPPING SERVICES TO ESTRELLA WAR XVI
- MAP/DIRECTIONS TO ESTRELLA WAR XVI
- HOTELS NEAR SCHNEPF FARMS
- HISTORICAL ENCAMPMENT

- ESTRELLA WAR CLARIFICATION  -- SPECIAL NEEDS
- RAPIER AT ESTRELLA WAR XVI
- INSTRUCTORS NEEDED FOR  ESTRELLA WAR XVI CHILDREN'S COLLEGIUM
- ESTRELLA WAR XVI A&S CLASS LIST

Remember that the most recent information about the event, and the full list of autoctats, may be found on the website: www.estrellawar.org.  The website also includes a full copy of the Treaty which explains heavy combat and rapier scenarios, the schedule for battles, the archery war point scenarios and the Arts & Sciences Competition guidelines.

In service to the Kingdom of Atenveldt,

Mathghamhain and Katerina
Duke and Duchess of Atenveldt
SITE OPERATIONS & IMPROVEMENTS FOR ESTRELLA WAR 2000
Queen Creek, AZ February 16-21, 2000

Dear Friends,
In order to dispel rumors and give factual information to all, here's the latest regarding Estrella War  2000.  Our staff has worked long and hard these past few months, and continues to be committed to creating an outstanding event for all our attendees to enjoy and remember.  Please contact us or our deputies for further questions, or visit our Website: www.Estrellawar.org.

What Site Improvements have been made?
(A) Dust Control - This year the site owner has planted winter grass in the main camping field and has been watering it regularly.  It is green - pictures will be posted on our Website.  It was decided by our Autocrats, the Crown and our Atenveldt Kingdom Financial Committee to dedicate a large number of funds to improve the site.  This was our number one priority, and is part of our contract with the site owner.

Arrangements have also been put in place for two "water trucks" to be making numerous passes on the interior roads prior and during the event, to help minimize the traffic dust on the interior roads.  Please keep in mind, in order for the trucks to make these passes; driving on the grass will again be restricted to quick loading and unloading.

(B) Amenities- This year the contract and budget for amenities has also been greatly increased. More porta-johns (regular & handicapped) will be on site, more pumping and more cleaning daily, and handwashing stations will be with each station.

(C) Camping Space- With the changes in the War Treaty, all heavy weapons fighting scenarios will take place in the improved Battle Pit.  This freed up one half of the NE field of the site for more overflow camping.  The site layout will be designed by Kingdoms, with large maps prominently displayed at Troll, Security & Merchants Point.

(D) Directions, information & Signs - We realized parking and road signs needed to be created and more clearly defined parking issues were in order.  The Far West lot will once again be the primary parking lot.  We understand the inconvenience.  The parameter parking will be primarily restricted to handicapped parking only.  The lot north of the Grand Court will be limited to handicapped and Merchant Parking only.  Dash cards will be issued at the Troll, and these parking restrictions will be enforced.

These restrictions will be posted clearly in the forms of 1) Maps posted 2)map published in the GateBook and 3) Road signs.  It is VERY LIKELY you WILL be towed for failure to follow these restrictions.

Please come prepared - Most of us are city dwellers, going from our climate controlled homes, to our climate controlled vehicles to our climate controlled places of employment or colleges, suddenly thrust into a dirty, smoky environment with a few thousand friends from around the globe.  Add to this the unpredictable weather, cold and windy, or dry and hot - It's Phoenix.
If you have known respiratory history or allergies, you are urged to contact your family physician prior to the event & bring whatever prescriptions or over-the-counter medications you may need in a varied environment. Please consider this a primitive site.
All minors attending the event must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian also attending the event.  Proof of temporary guardianship IS required. You must have two copies of notarized documentation if you are bringing other minor children onto site with you OTHER THAN YOUR OWN CHILDREN.  These papers must originate from your state of origin; one form to be kept at event registration & the other with the child/guardian.  If you arrive without documentation you will not be allowed onto site.
The Estrella War Staff & the SCA are not responsible for providing this documentation NOR CAN THEY.   This paperwork is the responsibility of the parents and guardian bringing the child onto site (under 18 years of age).

Yours in Service,
Baroness Alexandra de Le Mer Vert, OP
Estrella War 2000
Co-Main Autocrat
WhiteCelt at aol.com

RECENT PICTURES OF CAMPING AREA & BATTLE PIT

The below URLs may be used to access pics taken last weekend of the Estrella
War XVI Camping Area and Battle Pit.  As they show, much work has been done
by the Kingdom of Atenveldt to address the dust in the camping area (several
thousand dollars of overseeding with Rye grass, payment of the site for
extra watering); and much work has been done in the Battle Pit to prepare
for the war scenarios outlined in the treaty.

To read the treaty, see the Estrella War XVI Site at www.estrellawar.org.

See pictures at this URL:
 http://www.primenet.com/~dmoc/EstrellaWar/index.html

This is a modest-sized page with thumbnails. Clicking on the thumbnails will
take you to a larger version of the same image. The images were taken
January 15th at about noon. Some are composited panoramas, but that's the
only processing that was done.

********************
TRANSPORTATION FROM AIRPORT TO ESTRELLA WAR

If you are unsure how to obtain transportation from the airport to Estrella
War, here is one suggestion.

Hi Class Service is a transportation service that will provide direct
transportation from Sky Harbor International Airport to the Schnepf Farms
site.  Hi Class Service will be allowed on-site to deliver gear to the
camping areas.

You must make arrangements IN ADVANCE with Oliver Miller of Hi Class
Service at 602-618-7400. Refer to SCA for this special offer.  It will cost
$70 per trip for up to four people per car. If there are more than 4 people
in your party, arrangements can be made for a larger vehicle. If you can
coordinate your ride with some other people flying in, you can share the
cost.

HI Class Service is an independent contractor and is not affiliated with
Schnepf Farms, the SCA or the Estrella XVI management.

Mistress Brenna Michaela Sine MacGhie of Clan Mackay
housekintyre at netvalue.net
Co-Deputy to the Main Autocrats
Estrella War XVI
**************
MAP/DIRECTIONS TO ESTRELLA WAR XVI

If you're unsure how to get to Schnepf Farms, we now have maps available
for you to print out on your printer.

Go to the Estrella War website - http://www.estrellawar.org/siteinfo

Type your address in the boxes on the left, then "calculate
directions."

In Service,

Mistress Brenna
Co-Deputy Autocrat
Estrella War XVI
housekintyre at netvalue.net

UPS SHIPPING SERVICES TO ESTRELLA WAR XVI

UPS is willing to load their wagons and flying dragons so you don't have
to!! Once again we offer you the opportunity to ship your belongings to
the Estrella War site via UPS.

The UPS pavilion will be located next to Troll, and will be available
for pickup of shipped items starting on Wednesday, Feb 16th through
Saturday, Feb 19th.  Packages to be shipped should be sent to the
following address for delivery no earlier than Wednesday, Feb 16th, or
they will be refused delivery.
Shipping address:  Estrella War XVI
c/o Schnepf Farms Festival Site
1200 East Combs Road (Intersection of Rittenhouse & Riggs Rd.)
Queen Creek, AZ 85242

Packages to be shipped must not exceed 150 lbs.  Maximum dimensions for
packages cannot exceed 130 inches (L + W + H).  The SCA will not handle
money in regards to shipping, so make sure to pre-pay for guaranteed
delivery (including Saturday delivery,
if desired) to ensure packages will arrive on time. For members coming
from outside
the United States, be sure to check on any international restrictions
and customs requirements.  Please note that UPS will NOT be making
pickups from Schnepf Farms this year, only deliveries, so please make
plans accordingly.

For questions regarding UPS pricing and shipping guidelines, contact UPS
at 1-800-742-5877.  If you have questions or comments, or would like to
volunteer to help staff the UPS pavilion, please contact the UPS
Autocrat:  Lady Bronwen Gwehyddes y Anglesey (Lisa Gunn) at 480-539-7032
before 9pm, or e-mail: howlingwolf.gunn at worldnet.att.net

******************
HOTELS NEAR SCHNEPF FARMS

Please keep in mind that February is high season in Arizona. Your rates will be higher than other times of the year. Specify Superstition Springs area when making reservations for all but Arizona Golf Resort. We are still trying to find some lower priced motels in the area.

ARIZONA GOLF RESORT
425 S. Power Road
Mesa, AZ 85206
(602) 832-3202
Broadway and Power Roads
Approximately $149-$179 for one bedroom suites

BEST WESTERN SUPERSTITION SPRINGS
1342 S. Power Road
Mesa, AZ 85206
(602) 641-1164
(800) 528-1234
Power and Hampton, just north of the freeway
Approximately $85 for King Studio
refrigerator in room
$75 two (2) Queen size beds
includes Continental Breakfast, coffee maker in room

COUNTRY INN AND SUITES
6650 E. Superstition Springs
Mesa, AZ 85206
(602) 641-8000
(800) 456-4000
Power and Superstition Springs
Approximately $129
$159 Suites
$179 Specialty Suites - includes whirlpool tub

LA QUINTA INN
6530 E Superstition Springs
Mesa, AZ 85206
(602) 654-1970
(800) 687-6667
Power and Superstition Springs
Approximately $109
$119 with refrigerator and microwave
Rates includes a light breakfast

HISTORICAL ENCAMPMENT
YES, THERE WILL BE A HISTORICAL ENCAMPMENT AREA AT ESTRELLA WAR XVI!

For information, contact:

Master Drusilus von Oberbessenbach
c/o Chris Bowen
at meisterdru at cs.com

 ********************
ESTRELLA WAR CLARIFICATION  -- SPECIAL NEEDS

Please forward this to any and all you can including any lists you are a
member of.

There was some confusion about the hours for Special Needs at Estrella War
that I wish to clarify.

Special Needs will be available 24 hours a day. From 9:00 a.m. till sunset,
they will be "cruising" the site in their two golf carts. They have enough
staff scheduled that they will be able to rotate their hours to give you
longer coverage. All you have to do if you need them is to flag them down
or have someone with a headset call them.

If you are disabled and will need assistance to get to classes, showers,
etc., please contact the Special Needs Autocrat once you get to war to
schedule a time slot.  This way you won't have to be standing around
waiting for a ride when you prefer to be in a nice hot shower. If you are
unable to schedule for this assistance in advance, you can still have them
called over the radio.

Special Needs will be available on an on-call/per-request basis after
sunset.  When you see someone with a headset and need a ride, ask them to
call Special Needs for you.  If you have any questions, please contact our
Special Needs Autocrat, Lady Ciara, at ciara at home.com.

We apologize for any misunderstanding and I hope that this clarifies the
hours for you.

Thank you for your assistance in spreading the word.

In Service,

Mistress Brenna
Co-Deputy
Estrella War XVI
housekintyre at netvalue.net

RAPIER AT ESTRELLA WAR XVI

For those fighters who are planning to participate in the rapier war point
scenarios at Estrella War XVI, Don Giovanni, the Society Rapier Marshal, has
granted us an exemption from the new Society Rapier Rules that go into effect Feb.
1st.  What this means, is that if your gear passed last year, you should be
fine for this year as well.

We are encouraging as many hardsuit fighters as possible to join us for
Friday afternoon's scenarios.  They are scheduled to start on the main
battlefield an hour after fighting ends in The Pit.  In return, we hope to
have several of the rapier fighters participating in the Saturday hardsuit
scenarios.

Please see your Kingdom Marshals of Fence if they'd like your gear inspected in advance.

A copy of the conventions for rapier at Estrella can be found at:

http://www.estrellawar.org/schedules/RapierRules.html

A description of the scenarios can be found at:

http://www.estrellawar.org/schedules/treaty_C.html

HL Selene O'Malley, DWS
Atenveldt Kingdom Rapier Marshal
miladyblade at hotmail.com

INSTRUCTORS NEEDED FOR  ESTRELLA WAR XVI CHILDREN'S COLLEGIUM

The Children's Corner for Estrella War XVI is proud to sponsor a Children's Collegium for
participants younger than 14 who attend the event.  To do this right, we need instructors of all
ages from across the lands to help!

This year the Children's Corner has been designed to accommodate two age groups; 3-7 and 8-13.  We
will have two pavilions set up, one for each age group, and appropriate activities planned for
them.  The younger kids will be able to play games, make arts and crafts, listen to stories, and
enjoy outdoor activities.  The older kids will attend hands on classes in the Children's Collegium,
as well as enjoy more complex games, arts and crafts activities, and other entertainment.  Each
group can participate in special activities like scavenger hunts, children's parade, field trips and
other fun outings as they are identified.

Our Collegium needs encompass the following:  Collegium Instructors:  Adult AND/OR Youth teachers;
up to 4, 1 hour long classes per day for 4 days, Thursday - Sunday.  Classes are tentatively
scheduled to begin at 10:00 am daily until 3:00 pm, with an hour break from 11:00 - 12:00 for
lunch.  Many time slots are still available, and we are willing to be as accommodating as possible
to meet the needs of our instructors, but we encourage you to contact us as soon as possible to
arrange the details.

If you are interested in teaching a class or two for any of the two age groups we'll be serving,
please contact the Children's Steward at the contact information below to make appropriate
arrangements.

Again, if anyone could send this missive on to the mailing lists for other kingdoms, please do so.

In service,

Lady Sorcha ni Donnghalie
MKA Erika Wren
Estrella War Children's Steward
Acting Kingdom A&S Deputy for Youth Issues

Contact her via e-mail at: wren at mail.mc.maricopa.edu
or phone: (480) 964-1226 before 9:00 pm

**************************

ESTRELLA WAR XVI A&S CLASS LIST

Here's a list of the classes that will be held at Estrella War XVI this
year. Please check your gate book on arrival or visit our web page at
www.estrellawar.org for more information on the classes.

If you have any questions about any of the classes listed and you can't
find your answer on our web page, please write to our A&S Classes Autocrat,
Mistress Magdalena Asmerit di Venezia at blackpel at hotmail.com.

15th Century Illumination:
16th Century Bodices Workshop
A Sampling Of Spices & Herbs
A Survey Of Late Period Irish Clothes For Men And Women
A Winning Attitude For Rapier
Advanced Camp Cooking
Advanced Shuttle Tatting
Arbeau Dance Sampler
Army Singing - Calontir Style
Bardic Performance, Or How Not To Fall Into The Fire And Make An Ash Of
Yourself
Basic Weaving
Basics Of Dance Reconstruction: English Country Dance
Beginning Camp Cooking
Beginning Card/Tablet Weaving
Beginning Embroidery: 8 Period Stitches
Beginning Smocking
Belly-Dancing Workshop
Blackwork
Caroso-Style Ball
Cartridge Pleating
Classical Persian Dance
Copyright Law For The SCA
Cordmaking On A Lucet
Courtesy, Grace, & Conduct Of A Fighter
Courtly Graces And Etiquette In The Renaissance
Cure For The Curse Of The Common Brown Thumb: Adventures With Lavender &
Other Flowers
Dances From The Inns Of Court
Does It Look Period? Evaluating Your Own Calligraphy/Illumination
Early 16th Century Italian Chancery Lettering
Entering Arts & Sciences Competitions/Documentation
European Flirtation Dances
Exploring The Laces Of LePompe
Folk Songs
Forming And Fitting ABS Armor - One Approach To Affordable Fighting Gear
French Beading And Shisha
Fundraising On The Shire Level
Hand Sewing
Heraldic Display
How And Why We Authorize Our Fighters
How To Be A "Dance Person"
How To Be An Autocrat
How To Develop Your Persona
How To Run A Feast
How To Teach Almost Anything
How to weave a pouch
Il Canario: A 16th Century Dance
Illumination W/Egg Tempera
Inkle Weaving Made Easy
Introduction To Decorative Leather Tooling
Introduction to Making Wire Jewelry
Lace And Your Persona: The Evolution Of Lace Collars And Ruffs
Late Period Flemish Illuminations: Trompe L'oeil Style
Leather Workshop
Lorica Segmentata (Roman Armor) - It's A Lot Easier Than You Think
Maille Making-Butted And Riveted
Making A Medieval Weatherglass
Metallurgy & Blade Testing For Rapier
Needle Tatting
Needlelace
Organ Pipe Pleating
Palestinian Embroidery
Performance For Bards (Performing Medieval Ballads)
Period Cartography
Period Feast For Modern Palates
Recreating Late Period Irish Fabrics For Spinners, Weavers, And Costumers
Scottish & English Country Dance
Sheep To Shawl Workshop
Silver's True Space - Rapier
So How Shall I Address Thee?
Spinning Without A Wheel
Stumpwork Embroidery
Tent Making Panel Discussion/Tour
The Renaissance Tailor Workshop
Turkish and Persian Costumes
Waraji: The Art Of Japanese Travelers Sandals
Welsh Persona Development/Enrichment