ANST - Info on Fort at Gulf War

Carl Chipman cchipman at nomadics.com
Fri Jan 28 16:54:12 PST 2000

Because of melee problems such as you describe, marshals in melees are
required to wear both eye and groin protection in any melee where archery
is to be used.
the rules say :

"F. Combat Archers shall not fire/throw their weapons in any case where a
miss might cause the projectile(s) to strike any Marshal or spectator. All
Combat Archers, no matter how sure their shot might be, shall honor the
established no-firing zones. "
(Taken from Ansteorran handbook).

I would think that this would allow clout shooting if and only if  those
shooting made sure that no marshals were in the area aimed for.  With clout
shooting it would be fairly easy as the high elevation of the weapon would
make sure that the arrow/bolt didn't go far.  probably just as simple as
having someone peek over the wall to make sure that there are no marshalls
standing in the immediate (and even extended) target area, and then firing.
 If there is a marshall there, don't fire.

I know that we often fired into the fort not knowing where the marshals
are, which is how Sir Karl (?) got injured back in Gulf Wars VII.  Although
I think he was hit by a ballistat bolt, not an arrow.

btw, is there no way for you to wear your glasses when you fight?  granted
without mine I could never do combat archery as I can't distiguish a person
@ 4 feet, much less 15 :-).

Jean Paul de Sens

Carl Chipman
Nomadics, Inc.