ANST - Info on Fort at Gulf War

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Fri Jan 28 17:51:08 PST 2000

Carl Chipman wrote:
> Because of melee problems such as you describe, marshals in melees are
> required to wear both eye and groin protection in any melee where archery
> is to be used.
> the rules say :
>
> "F. Combat Archers shall not fire/throw their weapons in any case where a
> miss might cause the projectile(s) to strike any Marshal or spectator. All
> Combat Archers, no matter how sure their shot might be, shall honor the
> established no-firing zones. "
> (Taken from Ansteorran handbook).
>
> I would think that this would allow clout shooting if and only if  those
> shooting made sure that no marshals were in the area aimed for.  With clout
> shooting it would be fairly easy as the high elevation of the weapon would
> make sure that the arrow/bolt didn't go far.  probably just as simple as
> having someone peek over the wall to make sure that there are no marshalls
> standing in the immediate (and even extended) target area, and then firing.
>  If there is a marshall there, don't fire.

But if I remember the Gulf War Fort correctly, you can not see over the wall,
especially when you are back a ways. How would the remote observer know
which portion of the area inside the Fort you were planning to fire into?

> btw, is there no way for you to wear your glasses when you fight?  granted
> without mine I could never do combat archery as I can't distiguish a person
> @ 4 feet, much less 15 :-).

I do wear my glasses when fighting combat (well, when I was allowed to fight
I did). There was talk of setting up some sort of test I would have to pass
to be allowed on the field, but it was made pretty clear that asking
for such a test would not be looked upon favorably. Apparently there
was a lot of behind the scenes lobbying to keep me off the field. Since
I so obviously wasn't wanted on the field I haven't pursued this further.

Generally in combat situations I didn't shoot beyond about sixty feet
where I could see who was a safe target.

Oh well. It just seems that allowing blind shooting increases the chances
of hitting unintended targets. I can imagine a shot from inside the Fort
easily carrying into the crowd when shot on a high or semi-high trajectory.
But skips are also possible when using direct fire, also.

As far as range goes, I've shot a respectible score in the clout shoot
at Pennsic, with my combat legal crossbow, and I seem to remember that
the range there is about the same or longer than the Fort to crowd
distance at Gulf Wars, although that was six years ago so I may be remembering
wrong.

> Jean Paul de Sens

Stefan li Rous