ANST - More information on Estrella

Trish Kvamme ladyoftherose at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 31 07:53:36 PST 2000

Greetings Brave Estrella Questers!

I have received confirmation from the Atenveldt Interkingdom Royal Liaison
that our Ansteorran Royal encampment will be located in between the Outlands
and the Calontir encampment, so as we requested we will be close in with our
allies and privy to all the fun!

It is approximatley a 16.5 hour drive from the north Dallas area, so adjust
your travel time by your location.  The Phoenix ariport is 40 minuets give
or take to the site, and if you lost the shuttle information I forwarded to
the list, email me and I will resend it to you personally.

I also asked some of the local Ladies for their views on the site regarding
what to wear, I have toured the site many times, but not camped there, so I
have the following collective words of wisdom to share with you!

1.    Raw silk and the natural fabrics gather dust and grass like nothing
else.  Try to wear things that don't drag on the ground.  ( I feel this is a
personal challenge to me to make some new clothes *L*)

2.    Spraying anti-static spray on the skirt and around the
hems of gowns right before putting them on really helpes with how dirty they
will become, and how much dust and grass they will gather.

3.    The site is flat, so the wind can be bad, and so is the Arizona sun.
Sunscreen is a must, a hat is good.  Parasols are excellent, but may not
stand up to the wind (a canvas parasol was suggested if possible).

4.  Arizona weather is as amusing as Texas weather, it will be much colder
at night, and can get as high as the low 80's during the day, or be as chill
as the 50's and damp.  Come prepared for anything.

5.    For the battle pit, you really need boots of some kind, or something
that gives ankle support.  Again, it's the desert, so there can be scorpions
and snakes although during that time of year they are generally still in the
ground.

6.    The Queen's Tea and Laurel's prize were held in big tents on cement,
so court garb works there.  However, I would scotch guard your finer
fabrics, and in some cases, I have put a lining or a line of duct tape under
the hem of my gowns to protect them from snagging.

Expect to walk a lot.  I mean alot.  Estrella is spaced much farther apart
than Gulf war.  It also doesnt have the green fields or tree lines like Gulf
so be prepared for Desert Country.  They are seeding the site, and working
very hard to make sure there is grass and dust control, but think West
Texas!  Fighters, I promise you will love that battle pit!

Hope this helps!  As always, contact me directly if I can be of additional
service.

Larissa