ANST - Need "Fealty" Oath

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu Jul 6 08:53:47 PDT 2000

Lord Johanne Kiefer Hayden asked:
> A friend who is writing some fantasy fan-fiction asked me if I knew of a
> standard fealty oath.
>
> I know that there is a traditional standard that our KSCA of Ansteorra used,
> so if anyone could supply me with the text, I'd appreciate it.

While you do mention that your friend is doing fantasy fiction
and not historical fiction, you might want to look through
this file in the CHIVALRY section of my Florilegium:
fealty-art        (27K)  1/18/94    Article on fealty by Ioseph of
Locksley.

This article has a good overview on the different types of medieval
fealty relationships. The oaths even for two different people giving
the same type of fealty often differed. Several of the oaths given
in the kingdom of Atenveldt are also given in this article.

This file may also have some useful info:
fealty-msg        (38K)  8/26/99    Fealty in SCA and period. Feudalism.

Here is an example of medieval Grant for Life. I don't know if this
is what you have in mind, but it is from a period manuscript:
Grant-man          (9K)  1/12/94    Example of a Grant-for-life.

This is in the SCRIBAL ARTS section.

The URL for the Florilegium is: http://www.florilegium.org

I hope this helps.

Lord Stefan li Rous