ANST - FW: Musing on July 3 -- Mary Meetings

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Tue Jul 4 23:46:10 PDT 2000

- -----Original Message-----
From: Ellsworth Weaver [mailto:astroweaver at yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2000 19:36
To: 2thpix at surfari.net
Subject: Musing on July 3 -- Mary Meetings

Dear Folk,

Two quick ones today both united by a common thread, I guess. You
decide.

On July 3, 1518, in La Rue aux Ours, Paris, France, a drunken soldier
accidentally struck a portrait of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The
painting
bled. Just like on X-Files, the portrait bled. Obviously the soldier
was sorry. He was drunk. He was promptly arrested, tried for heresy,
and burned at the stake.

On July 3, 1616 Bernardine (aka Bernardino)  Realino went to his
reward
with the words "Mary and Jesus" on his lips. Bernie was born of a
noble
family in Capri, Italy in 1530. He was pretty much taught by his mom,
who did an excellent job by the way. He went off to U. of Bologna,
don’t ask what the school cafeteria served, to study medicine. After
three years of those sandwiches he decided to switch his major to
law.
Indigestion can do that, sour a person.

He got his doctorate and got tapped to be an auditor and lieutenant
general of Naples a year later. He also was Mayor of Felizzano,
Italy;
Judge; Head tax collector in Alesandria, Italy; Mayor of Cassine,
Italy;. Mayor of Castelleone, Italy; Superintendent of the fiefs of
the
marquis of Naples. Golden boy, indeed. What on earth could stand in
the
way of such a politician?

Her name was Mary. Yes, that same one. She appeared to him in a
vision.
He found himself out on an 8 day retreat with the Jesuits (lawyer,
Jesuits, now there is a connection!) It did not take him long to join
the Society of Jesus. Within a few years he was teaching and
preaching
and ministering. He especially was nice to the poor and to the galley
slaves. He even is said to have a small pitcher of wine which did not
run out until everyone was completely wasted. Cool miracle. Because
of
this and a few other miracles plus his devotion to the poor, galley
slaves, and peace (he used his voice to stop several vendettas) in
1947
he was declared a saint. His Saint's Day was yesterday. Guess the 3rd
was taken. I'd take the fifth on that but there we are with the
alcohol
again.

What have we learned? That a meeting with Mary can change the course
of
one’s life? That Jesuits are a perfect place for lawyers? Hurt the
lady
and you are in trouble? How about, the Great Spirit says that wine
makes us clumsy and stupid and I am enough of both? Just a personal
testimonial. *G*

Be careful with the wine this holiday, my friends.

Go see "The Patriot." Great movie and the Smithsonian did the
authenticity part.

Looking for my flintlock,
Ells

=====
"That proves you are unusual," returned the Scarecrow; "and I am
convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world
are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a
tree, and live and die unnoticed." -- L. Frank Baum in _The Land of
Oz_

http://invites.yahoo.com/