ANST - FW: Musing on July 13 -- Open Channel Dee

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Wed Jul 12 10:58:16 PDT 2000

- -----Original Message-----
From: Ellsworth Weaver [mailto:astroweaver at yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 12:43
To: 2thpix at surfari.net
Subject: Musing on July 13 -- Open Channel Dee

Dear Folk,

Happiest of Solar Returns (birthday anniversaries, sort of) to a
mathematician, an alchemist and an astrologer to queens, . Was he a
scoundrel or a dupe? A fool or wiser than any of us? You decide for
Dr.
John Dee was born on this date, July 13, 1527.

Dee was a whiz kid. At fifteen he entered Cambridge U and was made an
Underreader (staff at low pay) before he graduated. After Cambridge,
he
decided to get some more education (wise move) and went over to the
Continent (1547 - 1550). He wowed them in Paris with lectures on the
recently dug up works of Euclid. Wasn’t that a golden age: Euclid
getting a packed houses? When he got back home, he was recommended to
Queen Mary Tudor. She hired him as her astrologer (see: Nancy Reagan
wasn’t the first, after all) but that gig turned sour when he was
accused of being a magician. I guess it was that rabbit that kept
popping out of his hat.

While in the slammer, he met Elizabeth Tudor (the future Lizzie I).
Lizzie was being held in protective custody by her half-sis, Bloody
Mary. Dee and Lizzie were both in rather scary straits, smart folk,
young, well educated – nerds in trouble. My confidential sources do
not
tell me how close they became but it was a lifelong friendship that
they struck up.  Later on when Lizzie was queen, she gave John money
and protected him from charges of witchcraft. Pretty important
meeting
they had, I would say.

Dee not only did Lizzie’s astrological advice (he even picked out the
date for her coronation) but also gave advice on navigation to
English
pilots who were exploring the New World. He taught Lizzie how to
interpret mystic writings. Said she was a very avid pupil. Dee had an
enormous library (over 4000 books) of very rare tomes which he
rescued
from the Protestants set on burning them all. Many of these books had
been in the Roman Catholic Church monasteries of the which had been
dissolved in England during the Reformation.

In 1564, Dee published his most important book, the  Monas
Hieroglyphica, (One Hieroglyph). He said that there was a primal
symbol
which incorporated the blue print of all of reality. Drop this symbol
upon the lake of possibilities and all matter and energy would
organize
into a Universe very much like this one (with a few less Starbucks
and
Blockbuster Videos, though). What this symbol looked like, I am not
quite sure. It was not the thing used by the Artist formerly known as
Prince. If any of you have a good copy of it, scan it in and send it
me. *G* Just wonder if it would cause the Internet to crystallize
out.
Al Gore would just have to reinvent it then.

In 1581 Dee’s life took another strange turn. He was praying and was
visited by the angel Uriel (played by Christopher Walken.) Uriel told
him there was a mission for Dee. Uriel dropped off an egg-shaped
crystal, Dee later called it his "shew-stone," which Dee was to use
talk with the dead and with angels. It was a sort of psychic cellular
phone. BTW, can anyone tell me why I have this unreasonable wish to
grab cell phones away from people and smash them to little plastic
bits? I am just afraid I shall succumb to temptation some day. Maybe
need to see Dr. Dee about this. But I digress.

Just like so much of technology, the shew-stone was a bit touchy, not
fully beta-tested. Dee found that he had little or no luck in using
it.
As William Burroughs might say, "He was an unworthy vessel." He had
hire others to look into it and tell him what they saw. Dee wrote it
all down.

The most enterprising of these seers was Edward Kelley. Kelley had
been
a lawyer and a ventriloquist. Oh, he actually had had his ears
cropped
(ouch!) for being a counterfeiter before he met Dee. That Kelley had
also been accused of necromancy – using dead bodies for magickal
divination – did not deter lovable old Dr. Dee from hiring the
morally-impaired. From Kelley, Dee learned that through the crystal
angelic beings were attempting to teach Dee the Enochian language
which
was spoken by angels and Adam and Eve when they lived in the Garden
of
Eden. It appears that Dee and Kelley were trying to contact the
ancient
ones, the Watchers, known in the Bible as the Nephelim.

Small aside about Enochian. Some of my sources think either Dee or
Kelley were improvising this as they went along. Some think Dee had
an
ancient copy of the Book of Enoch in Ethiopian which he could not
translate and so just made up some stuff sounding like it.  One
source
speculates that it really was a code that Dee used as a spy on the
Continent for Queen Lizzie. That is a cool thought: former cell block
mates, now Royal Astrologer and Queen, sending encrypted spy messages
back and forth. I rather like that.

Dee and Kelley had to leave England because the preachers really were
down on anything which smacked of magick. These guys were as bad as
the
Harry Potter books, at least. A mob destroyed much of Dee’s books.
Dee
and Kelley toured Poland and Bohemia from 1583-1589, giving magic
shows
and mystifying princes. Wow! I wish I had a tee shirt from that road
tour. In 1595, Kelley got busted in Prague by the Emperor Rudolf II
for
wizardry and sorcery. He tried to escape but fell to his death. Dee
returned home to a quiet life protected by Queen Lizzie. He was
appointed a warden of Christ’s College in Manchester and even got a
small stipend from the Queen.

In the last dies of his life he was reduced to telling fortunes and
had
to sell his books one by one to have something to eat. He died in
1608
in Mortlake, England. His work is still regarded highly by modern
alchemists, and may have been very influential upon the mind of Adam
Weishaupt, father of the Bavarian Illuminati. But that, as they say,
is
another story.

What have we learned from Dr. Dee (and Mr. Kelley)? Friends help
friends move, but real friends help friends move bodies? Just because
being is disincarnate does not make it wise or benevolent? Be careful
to whom you show magic tricks and always, always emphasize they are
*tricks*? Lawyers can be unreliable mouthpieces, especially for the
dead? I like the Girl Scout song "Make New Friends but Keep the Old."

As always, forward these to whomever might be amused but keep my name
and sig attached. You don’t want I should send Uriel over to hit you
with a shew-stone, believe me.

Doing something magickal every day,
J.  Ellsworth Weaver

SCA – Sir Balthazar of Endor
AS – Polyphemus Theognis
TRV – Sebastian Yeats

=====
SmileWeavers Astrology Charts & Interpretations
Modern & Medieval (but always discreet)
If you are interested, contact me at
astroweaver at yahoo.com or 805.473.8867

http://mail.yahoo.com/