ANST - SCA PEERS

jonwillowpel at juno.com jonwillowpel at juno.com
Sat Jul 1 14:13:46 PDT 2000

The Laurels in the kingdom started using the ceremony first. It was to
show that the being made a peer is peer first and knight, laurel, and
pelican second. All of the peerages of the kingdom share duties. We are
all responsible for the well being of the people and the Crown. If
something needs to be done or if a leader is needed any member the
peerage should be willing to fill the need. Of course, normally the best
suited by talent is chosen but there have been times in our kingdom when
Pelicans led men into battle and Knights have judged arts and sciences.
That is one of the reason that we believe that Peers should be well
versed in all aspects of the kingdom.

It is a general SCA myth that Knights are more respected than Laurels
This is not always the truth. Back during the reign of King Lloyd there
was a big debate as to why Knights were more respected than Laurels. Many
of the Laurel thought it was because the Knights swore fealty and Laurels
didn't as a group. Some people agreed to this but another concept was put
forth. Most of the respect that knights get is from the fighting
community. The knights spent more time on the people of their field.
Using this as a basic concept the Laurels started spending more time with
the artists and artisans. They gave more leadership to the art community
and a wonderful thing happened. The people in the Arts and Science
community started to respect their Laurels. Arts and Science grew in the
kingdom and became as important to the kingdom as fighting.  Latter some
problems occurred in the belted fighter circle and the fighting community
lost some of its respect for the knights. During the worse of that time I
believed that the Laurels were more respected than the Knights. The
belted circle worked very hard to fix the  problems and  have done a
wonderful job. The circles seem to be equal now.

I guess you wonder why I did not mention the Pelicans. They deal with a
very different situation.  To be a Pelican you have to had a impact on
the kingdom. You entered into the order with your achievements and it is
your achievements that give you respect. The order is highly prized and
respected because of the level of people who are in it. Many people do
not understand what it takes to be a Pelican. The whole order seems
mystical. Because of its mystic air the Order of the Pelican is not
thought of in the same way as the other orders. The Pelican order is more
of a group of individuals rather then a fellowship. Both the Laurels and
Knights have a fellowship.

Mistress Willow de Wisp