ANST - FW: Musing on July 19 -- An Arrow Shirt with that Kilt?

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Wed Jul 19 15:11:28 PDT 2000

- -----Original Message-----
From: Ellsworth Weaver [mailto:astroweaver at yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2000 15:47
To: 2thpix at surfari.net
Subject: Musing on July 19 -- An Arrow Shirt with that Kilt?

Dear Folk,

On this date July 19, 1333, the English taught the French a lesson in
ballistics which they somehow failed to learn. It was on the approach
to Berwick castle, the French were there as military advisors to the
Scots. The place was Halidon Hill.

Back in 1292, the king of Scotland was John Balliol. He abdicated his
throne (actually was beaten badly in battle) to Edward I of England
in
1296. Remember Longshanks? John’s actions were universally despised
in
Scotland. He was dubbed "Toom Tabard" (Empty Coat) in derision of his
lack of leadership abilities. Boy, the Scots are hard on their
ineffectual leaders! Some of poor John’s problems did come about due
a lack of help by the Bruce family but that is another story.

Then in 1332 during an "Anglo-Scots peace," Edward Balliol, John’s
son,
sailed with eighty-eight ships from the Humber to Fife and fought his
way to Scone, the spot of royal Scottish coronations. Eddie B.,
claiming his family as still the true royal line, had himself crowned
King of Scotland.  There was only one small problem, David (II)
Bruce.

You see that with Balliol and his kin out of Scotland, there had been
an uprising or twa. William Wallace led the one in 1297, Robert the
Bruce had carried on that all the way until 1329. So, David II became
king of Scotland. David was a wee lad and Sir Archibald Douglas was
his
guardian. Archie Douglas immediately swept Eddie B. out of the
country
‘with one leg booted and the other bare’. The puppet-king (Eddie B.)
returned in 1333 leading an English army across the border and laying
siege to Berwick castle.

Edward III joined with Eddie Balliol in the May. By July the two Eds
together with their men set in upon Halidon Hill, a perfect vantage
point giving command of all approaches to Berwick.  Edward III was
the
grandson of Eddie Longshanks and quite a capable king. Remember his
dad
was Eddie II who was executed by Edward III’s mom. Now Sir Archie
Douglas was in Northumberland and made for Berwick to relieve it.

The French told the Scots that they should attack and take out both
those upstart kings at once. Nice of them. A detail or two was
troubling. The only means of attack for the Scots was by working
their
way through a bog before clambering up the hillside. The craven
English
archers hid in the brambles along with the dismounted English
infantry.
As the brave Scots attempted this jaunt the English archers picked
off
their targets at ease. Those who did make it up the hill were
slaughtered by the infantry.

By the end of that day July 19, 1333  Sir Archibald, six Scottish
earls, seventy barons, five hundred knights and an unknown number of
spearmen were dead, while England’s dead numbered fourteen.  That’s
right, fourteen!

Berwick, of course, fell to the English. In this single battle Edward
III destroyed the major portion of the Scottish army, secured his
northern border (all English kings have worried a touch about that),
and then felt free to go across the channel to tussle with England’s
favorite sparring partner, France. By the way, Edward III did hold
onto
that title King of Scotland. He was just allowing Eddie B. to do his
dirty work.

Some have called the Battle of Halidon Hill as the first battle in
the
Hundred Years War. The English tried and were incredibly successful
using archers. This lesson, as I said at the beginning, was evidently
not learned by the French. Edward III and his son, The Black Prince,
used the same tactics at Crecy and Poitiers. Henry V used them again
at
Agincourt.  Same effect. How unchivalric, I must say!

What have we learned from this? Never trust French advisors? Uphill
battles are always a pain? Scotland is a very confusing country but
well worth fighting for? Greatness skips a generation? I prefer:
ballistics takes the worry out of being close; or archery beats
Archies
and Frenchies every time.

As always, if you know someone weird who might like these Musings,
feel
free to forward them on. Do keep my name and sig. attached.  Used to
be
a fair hand with a bow, myself.

May St. Sebastian protect you,
J. Ellsworth Weaver

SCA -- Sir Balthazar of Endor
AS -- Polyphemus Theognis
TRV -- Sebastian Yeats

=====
SmileWeavers Astrology Charts & Interpretations
Modern & Medieval (but always discreet)
If you are interested, contact me at
astroweaver at yahoo.com or 805.473.8867

http://mail.yahoo.com/