ANST - FW: Musing on July 22 -- French Hairdresser Wanted

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Sun Jul 23 10:37:57 PDT 2000

- -----Original Message-----
From: Ellsworth Weaver [mailto:astroweaver at yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2000 11:52
To: 2thpix at surfari.net
Subject: Musing on July 22 -- French Hairdresser Wanted

Dear Folk,

July 22nd was St. Mary Magdalen Day. I did my best to celebrate it
but
as the old expression goes, I had a headache.

I do not want to step on anyone’s Golden Calf-skin Slippers here. We
all have our own convictions. Just some small note about the sainted
lady. Have you wondered about the name Magdalen? There are at least
two
thoughts about it. There was a town, Magdala, right near Tiberias
(remember that short walk the Templars made on July 3-4th?) on the
west
shore of the sea of Galilee. There is also a Talmudic expression
meaning “curling women’s hair,” or hairdresser. The Talmud explains
that hairdresser also means adulteress. Meditate upon that for a
second. Is that a kind thing to say about hairdressers? Like Dolly
Parton in "Steel Magnolias" could not have gotten her own boyfriend?
And what about Warren Beatty? Yeah!

So we have a Mary (not the J. guy’s mom) who was either a
hairdresser,
adulteress, or a gal from Magdala. Maybe all three. St. Mark also
says
she had seven devils cast out of her.  Wonder what that looked like?
mean before the age of special effects, what did a person possessed
look or act like? Probably you would not want to be around them.
Surely
you would not want them to curl your hair. Some folks also think this
Mary was the sister to Martha and Lazarus. St. Luke says that Mary
Magdalen followed Jesus and ministered to him. Some also claim it was
this Mary who anointed Jesus’ feet with her tears and wiped them dry
with her hair. All four of the gospels say she was at the foot of the
cross, saw Jesus laid in the tomb and was the first witness to the
Resurrection. Pretty darned important lady in my opinion.

There is much dispute as to what happened to her next. The Greek
Orthodox church says she went off with the Blessed Virgin Mary to
Ephesus. When she died, her remains were transferred to
Constantinople
in 886. There is a French tradition that Mary M., brother Lazarus,
and
some other folk went to Marselles and converted the whole of
Provence.
Fact is, there is a grotto in La Sainte-Baume which is said to hold
the
head of St. Mary Magdalen. Cool place for a pilgrimage, the south of
France. Beats going to Turkey.

I would be remiss if I did not include one other speculation. Michael
Baigent, Richard Leigh and Henry Lincoln in their books (_The Holy
Blood and Holy Grail_ and _The Messianic Legacy_) say that Mary
Magdalen was pregnant when she came to France. Her offspring became
the
Merovingian kings of France and are now known as the Priory of Sion
(French spelling of Zion). Yes, they believe that Mary the
hairdresser
was pregnant by Jesus, shocking as that may seem.  I am not going to
debate these points; just bringing them to your attention.

Now parts of my family are really proud to be descendants of a guy
who
fought in the American Revolution. I doubt if there would be any
living
with them if they thought they were descendants of Jesus.

So what can we learn from any of this? History is written about folks
long dead by folks with their own axes to grind? The French think
that
they are part of the Holy Family? Convictions make convicts? How
about
even a hairdresser with seven devils in her can be forgiven and
loved?
I think I agree.

As always, if you want to forward these, leave my name and sig.
attached.

Looking for a hairdresser with a few less devils,
J. Ellsworth Weaver

SCA – Sir Balthazar of Endor
AS – Polyphemus Theognis
TRV – Sebastian Yeats

=====
SmileWeavers Astrology Charts & Interpretations
Modern & Medieval (but always discreet)
If you are interested, contact me at
astroweaver at yahoo.com or 805.473.8867

http://mail.yahoo.com/