ANST - Ansteorra questions

baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Wed Jul 26 09:50:08 PDT 2000

Quoting Russell Husted <husted at hotmail.com>:

> I know I should know this stuff, but I either do not or I have forgotten,
> so
> please help me out.
>
> What does Ansteorra mean? Where did we get our motto from?
>
> Thank you,
> mahee

from my personal website:

"...he Texas-Oklahoma region of the SCA, which is called
Ansteorra, which is an old Anglo-Saxon word meaning
roughly one star, or Lone Star; the Anglo Saxon Chronicle
in 1066 records the 'an steorra' -- the one star --
'unique and singular in the heavens'. This was Haley's
Comet, which was taken as a heavenly portent of the
Norman Invasion which came later that year.
Ansteorra'smotto: Uniqus et Singularis."

So the star we're named after isn't just an ordinary
star, but the great comet, Halley's.  Thus a lot of our
heraldry and award names, as well.  I think we have the
coolest name of any kingdom.

- Galen