ANST - Politics

baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Thu Jun 1 10:32:14 PDT 2000

Quoting gunnora at realtime.net:
<snip>
> You are certainly welcome to your opinion, but you
seriously misunderstand
> what
> "politics" is.  So many people misuse "politics" to
describe back-stabbing,
> unfair treatment, passive aggressive bullsh*t, and so
forth!

> What politics *actually* is is the art and science of
people working
> together.
>  Anytime you have more than one person in a group,
you will have, and need
> politics.
>  This includes the skills of negotiation and
compromise, and all the tools
> which
> people use in order to get things done, achieve
concensus, and to make
> relationships
> between people run smoother and easier.

Huzzah!  An all-too-often missed truth.  Or, to put it
another way, politics is the art of getting someone
else to do what you want them to.  I find a polite
request works most often with a minimum of hard
feelings.  As someone once said, the alternative to
politics is force.

For SCA people, I usually teach that the rules for
politics are the same as the rules for combat:
1. Do it for honorable goals, in the open where
everyone can see you.
2. Never take unfair advantage.
3. No victory is worth hurting your opponent.  If
someone gets hurt, it was done wrong.
4. Conduct yourself in a knightly and chivalrous
manner; you may face this opponent again, or you may be
allies next time.
5. If you lose, call the blow and leave the field.
6. Don't try to chase someone off the field.  The fight
will be stopped, and you'll be centered again.  Somehow.

One last observation.  It's not possible for one person
or faction to permanently take over an SCA branch.  But
it is possible to destroy a branch in the attempt.

- Galen of Bristol