ANST - hold & time-out .... was: Rude Laurel?

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Sat Jun 3 11:15:00 PDT 2000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-ansteorra at ansteorra.org
> [mailto:owner-ansteorra at ansteorra.org]On Behalf Of C. L. Ward
> Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2000 11:22
> To: ansteorra at ansteorra.org
> Subject: ANST - Re: Rude Laurel?

as a concerned citizen who see's a useful thread starting to spin out
of control, methinks it might be time to drag a large mirror into the
room ... teh following is how some of the non/peripherally involved
see this situation ...

> ... While I'm at it, let me make a few suggestions on your note.
> You'd have done better to have spoken to me off list, telling me
> what  exactly it was about my post that you disagreed with, and
> telling me what  you wanted me to do differently in the future.

if i my i pass your repeated recent suggestions/admonitions back to
the maker ....

from my seat, this whole thread is getting blown *way* out of sane
proportion and becoming far too personal and incendiary (sadly like
too many things in scadia) ... so, for the peace of the house, how
about doing us all, who are not involved in your conflict, a favor
and as you suggest taking it *offlist* to direct email to the person
you are playing online word-combat with.

especially in that it seems that it is rapidly degenerating into a
personal issue between the two of you.  worse yet, it has begun to
devolve into a "last word with the most personal hit-points made"
situation that is seemingly publically posted so as to be tried in
the online kingom kangeroo-court of public-opinion.

so, in the basic rules of all barbaric and civilized public spaces,
commons, taverns, etc ... please take your personal-problems outside
so as to not further damage the house, annoy the patrons, or drag any
more by standers into your brawl.

the behavior by those seeking to address a wrong (real or perceived,
jury is still out ... not having heard anything from the publically
accused) has begun to mimic *exactly* those actions that were
origionally being taken to task.

one of the problems with the scadian world, it teaches you to follow
banners and provides a *lot* of them.  too many lose the
discrimination of what banners are really worth rallying to and it
becomes a incessant game of king-of-the hill blended with capture the
flag, which is not bad until the game play starts drifting into and
displacing reality (anyone remember a relevent Peter Gabriel song
about this very concept?)

'wolf
... downside of putting ones ego and self-importance on the line, it
becomes a tempting target and often gets stepped on or bashed.  this
can be educational or damaging, depends on ones perceptions and/or
the lessons learned at the time.