ANST - On Another subject entirely

Barony of Elfsea Baron and Baroness elfsea_excellencies at ansteorra.org
Thu Jun 1 11:00:37 PDT 2000

Duchess Willow wrote:
> I agreed with Duchess Larissa.
> Courtly behavior such as salutes and interaction
between the lords and
> ladies make the SCA special.
<snip>

Duchess Larissa wrote:
<snip>
> > Without special moments like these, I feel the game
itself would be
> > very
> > lacking.  I am writing the list today and encourage
others to as
> > well to
> > promote these ideals to others.
> >
> > When I see someone miss their salute, as I said, I
am very sad.  And
> > I think
> > it is because perhaps no one ever taught them this
aspect of the
> > game.
> >
> > what do you all think?
> >
> > Larissa

I think a couple of things:
1.  I always like it when my lady takes an effort to
pay attention when I fight.  She's not always able to
be there, but I appreciate her remembering even if
she's not able to be there to take her salute.

2.  I'm always very impressed by ladies who do make a
special effort to make a show of support for the lord
fighting for her.  I'm thinking of a lady -- to my
shame, I cannot recall her name, but her lord is Lord
Dougal, Sir Thorkel's squire -- whom I routinely see by
the side of the listfield during his fights, dressed in
a heraldic gown displaying her lord's arms.  There is
no question whose side she's on, and when I see her,
it's a moment of magic for me.  And when I fought her
lord at Guardian of the Tor, I felt at a slight
disadvantage because of her presence.

3. I appreciate the efforts of Duchess Larissa and
Duchess Willow to remind us of these and other
courtesies.  In times when we become lax, it's good to
have such nobles to call us back to our ideals.

- Galen of Bristol