ANST - Courtesy Crusade

Trish Kvamme ladyoftherose at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 6 12:14:02 PDT 2000

"Greetings Larissa and other Crusaders

I must say, this disturbs me. Courteous behavior should be
rewarded, not arbitrated."

No one here has said anything about arbitration.  It is a fun quest that
anyone who has the interest is welcome to join.  Again I say "we stand
together to try and be examples"  That means acting nice and doing nice
thing s for people.  No stress here.

"Some kingdoms confer a non-armigerious award for gentles whose
courtesy stands as a role model to others - the East's Queen's
Order of Courtesy comes to mind."

That altogether is a different issue.  Caid has the Legion of Courtesy,
Atenveldt the "Order of Queen's Grace".  That is for the Crown, this is for
folks who want to play this aspect of the game.  Swearing to uphold these
virtues to the Queen is natural as she is our example of love and beauty.

"While Larissa's concern for encouraging courteous and chivalrous
behavior has much merit; I cringe at what could be construed as
"Courtesy Police".  I wonder how those without armbands will be
viewed, will it escalate (and given human nature - it will) into
a cadre one "must" join if one wants to be viewed as "mannered".
Will it open the door for other "crusades" - like dressing
better, having better armor, the Better Pavilions and Campsites
Seal of Approval, Parlimentarianism?"

My Husband is the standing Crusader for better armour, Costuming happens
here as well as many places at least once a week, and I leave the campsites
to Marguerite my apprentice, who's talent for them bewilders me *laugh*

Standing as an example does not include nattering at someone who you don't
feel is behaving nicely.  That isn't what this is about.

This is a new concept, and I think it can be alot of fun.  Before everyone
starts worrying, why don't you watch and see how it goes, in other words,
give it a chance to blossom before you decide if it is a good or bad thing?

"I already feel squirmy at the posts that have reared.  With  Sir
Gunther - a Knight and a Duke raising the banner for "rude 'n
crude" and Mistress Larissa - a Laurel and a Duchess campaigning
for armbands to prove support of courtesy - I feel a bit sick."

Armbands, not exactly.  More like pretty favors worn upon the arm as I have
seen in period.  And Gunthar's persona is just playful.  I guess most of us
take for granted that the people on the list know us well enough to know
when we are playing, but that isn't always the case.

"The values of a group are a part of their culture.  Culture
change is a slow natural process, not a mandated one.  I plan to
work at changing the values I practice and model to more nearly
match the values that the SCA gives lip service to. I don't need
an armband."

If you don't want to have a favor then I will surely miss you, but I
understand.

I am very excited about those however who would like to try this.  I am
hoping we can make this a fun thing while discovering how much the
courtesies and traditions do add to the Kingdom as well as the SCA at large.

As I have stated, everyone is very, very welcome to join and play, or not
join and watch.  But why not let the garden bloom before everyone comes to
pick the flowers?  It hasn't been done here before, so why not try it?

It doesn't cost anything to try something, and for those who are willing to
give of themselves to try and do something wonderful and fun for Ansteorra
like the many who have come forward, let's applaud them and see what we all
can do as a group together.

I am not picking on Tamlin, it is important that everyone do what makes them
happy, but I would love to see a change come about that when someone tries
to do something new, 1000 pounds of sand isn't poured on it.

So I entreat the Brave and the interested to join us in what I think will
become alot of fun, and a good service to our Kingdom, especially as
examples to it's newcomers.

Larissa
"Tamlin"