ANST - Re: finding the dream/politics

jonwillowpel at juno.com jonwillowpel at juno.com
Sat Jun 3 22:07:40 PDT 2000

 I agreed and disagreed with Mistress Gunnara. Yes, potitices is the art
and science of working together but is also the path for power and
prestige. To me it doesn't' t matter if you are going for power and
prestige or a goal it is the methods that you use the make the difference
as to hurting people or not.

First I would like to remind us all of a fact. The SCA is a tight knit
group like a family. We all know we are going to have fights over things
but it would be nice if we still liked each other afterwards .  Family
counselors tell husbands and wives and family members to fight fair. What
they mean is to not attack the person only the behaviors or decisions
that upset you.  The same thing is true within the SCA. There are
political techniques that cause too much "fallout" or hurt.  For example:
I might have a good cause but instead of logical stating my case I spent
my time upsetting my political opponent and trying to chase him out of
the SCA with rumors and innuendos.  I am a good person and my cause is
good but my techniques hurt many people and are "dream killers"On the
other hand I am a power mad monster and I want to be in control but to do
this I work my butt off making events, supporting people and sewing
thousands of pearls on my costume so I will be the best dressed person at
the event. I try to get the top by being useful and doing things better
then the others. Instead of judging political and politician by the
motive--goal or personal-- let us judge them by there methods--proper and
improper. Proper methods are logic and work. Improper method are when you
attack the individual or you threaten, trick or blackmail.

The SCA has a code of conduct that includes Courtesy and Chivalry. Any
political technique that attacks from behind or involves not being
courteous are "dream killers and should not be used. In the past we have
stated it is hard to be a Pelican in Anstoerra because you had to be  a
mover and shaker and still be a peer. There are many political techniques
that work that are not proper for a peer. When you use proper political
techniques an interesting thing happens. When you are in conflict with
someone and you lose you can still work with them. They didn't hurt you
as an individual and you didn't hurt them. The funny thing about our
Pelican circle is that is always realigning. One day part of us will be
working together  and the next  day we can be opposed and the next day
working on something else. I have fought with someone on one issue while
I was working on a project with them. Ideas and project become important
not egos.  We need every mover and shaker we got. We need the people who
will put the time into SCA. It is not fair to everyone else when we drive
someone out. Let us be careful with our methods.

Willow de Wisp OP