ANST - Crusade....

Michael Smith morgunn at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 6 13:55:23 PDT 2000

I agree with this statement entirely.  However, I don't see how making a
public declaration that you would like to see an increase in courtesy and
will stand with others with the same goal is necessarily a bad thing.  I
think that a person who wears this armband is asking to be held to a higher
standard, and they're making that statement publicly.  I'm not afraid to be
held to a higher standard, and I'm sure most of us aren't.

Can I see how this crusade could go wrong?  Yup.  Do I think it will?  No,
not really.

I believe that people who understand the dream and live their SCA lives as
examples of it are fantastic.  But sometimes we need reminders.  The SCA has
symbols for so many things.  White belts, crowns, coronets, scarves,
medallions, and favors....they all have meaning, some of it more and some
less sacred.  They only symbolize something, however.  A white belt doesn't
stand in the place of chivalry, and a CC favor won't stand in the place of
the level of courtesy that those who wear it hope to attain.

Morgunn