ANST -being Old Fashion

jonwillowpel at juno.com jonwillowpel at juno.com
Sat Jun 10 15:35:20 PDT 2000

Dear people on the list

Recently I had a situation. I was at Spring faire, which is a good size
event but not a mega event like Warlord, and I had personal plans but the
some people running one of the official event had problems and called on
me to help. Being a Peer I put my personal activity aside and worked on
the official activity. A non-peer member of my household got a little
muffed at me and told me I was old fashion. She said that because
Ansteorra was SO LARGE that it didn't need its peers doing work at
events. I thought about it and answered that was true at the BIG events
but there were lots of smaller events, under 300, that still needed
everyone at the event to work together. My friend pointed out to me that
other peers have big parties at  the small events with no regard to the
official activities and other peers don't put themselves out making
things happen at events and I was just being old fashion. When I joined
it is assumed that because a peer was a leader of people that it was the
duty of a peer to help make the planned event come off well. One of the
reasons we stressed Knights being able to perform was because they had to
be able to keep the party and the atmosphere going if it faltered. I know
that at the mega events there are lots of people to lots of things but I
still believe that there is a need at the small events for peers to pitch
in and help.  Am I being old fashion?
Duchess Willow de Wisp