ANST - SCA PEERS

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Jun 22 07:41:37 PDT 2000

Rese913654 at aol.com (Rese913654 at aol.com) said something that sounded like:
> I think she was referring to way people look at peers. When a newbie, for
> example, is asked who is a peer the first thing that pops into their heads
> are the knights. It's a shame.

I don't see it that way, and I am not a Knight. I am a Pelican. There
will always be someone who is more favored even among equals. Who is
your favorite Duke? Who is your favorite Count? They are equal in rank,
but you probably rank some of them higher in your personal scheme of
things.

The Knights are the ones who have the pomp and what not. The fighters
are the ones who bring the new comers to us by being out at public
practices and demos to draw them in. The Knights are the ones who
generally become King/Queen by their own right. They are all out there
on show at every tourney for everyone at the site to see. They are the
largest part of our image to the outside world.

NOTE: These are all generalizations. There are always exceptions.

> In my humble opinion it is the Pelicans and
> Laurels who provide the backbone of the Society.

That depends on how you look at the Society. Is it the backbone that
keeps it going or the fancy outer image that brings new people in that
people will remember? These are personal opinion.

Ciao,