ANST - To Arms! To Arms!-Enlist now!!

Vicki Marsh XaraXene at home.com
Thu Jun 22 09:10:26 PDT 2000

Greetings from Mistress Xene, doing more research:

As Llywelyn is to be portraying John Beaufort, 1st Duke of Somerset
(1404-1444), I have decided to portray Margaret Beauchamp (1410-1482).  They
are Lancastrian.

The Beaufort badge is a portcullis or.

The Beaufort arms are the Royal Arms (the blue and gold fleur de lys of
France  and the red and gold lions of England, quartered) within a bordure
gobony argent and azure.  John Beaufort, the Earl of Somerset, was the son
of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, by his mistress and later wife,
Katherine Swinford. The children were later legitimated.

The Beauchamp arms are Gules, a fess between six cross crosslets or.

John Beaufort (the grandson of John of Gaunt) and Margaret Beauchamp had a
daughter also named Margaret Beaufort.  She married Edmund Tudor and they
had a son named Henry Tudor, who was to be Henry VII.

The 1st Duke of Somerset's half-uncle was Henry IV.

His aunt was Joan Beaufort, who married Ralph Nevill and they had a
grandson - Richard Nevill, Earl of Warwick and Salisbury, called Kingmaker
(1428-1471).  Richard Nevill married Anne Beauchamp.  Anne Beauchamp was the
daughter of Richard Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick and his wife Isabella,
daurghter of Thomas Despencer, Earl of Glouster.  It was through Anne
Beauchamp that Richard Nevill became so wealthy in land and monies.

So, Edward III is the father of John of Gaunt and therefore the
great-grandfather of John Beaufort, 1st Duke of Somerset

Now that I have you thoroughly confused, I haven't even figured out how Anne
Beauchamp is related to Margaret Beauchamp.

See you at the War!!

Xene