ANST - Steppes Warlord

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Thu Jun 1 15:58:19 PDT 2000

Mara of Rede said -

>I had a wonderful weekend at Warlord, in spite of
>weather. I always do. It is one of my all-time
>favorite events.
>However, an incident occurred in Court Sunday
>evening that left a very nasty taste in my mouth,
>and could have ruined the whole thing if I had
>let it, or perhaps if I had been a newcomer to
>this Game:
<snip>
>I almost went to His Majesty for redress of the
>situation, then and there. I moved, instead.
<snip>

Mara,

I think you did the right thing in deciding to show restraint, rather than giving the louts in question the tongue-lashing they so richly deserved.  If individuals (I will NOT call them gentles) behave in such a manner, on-the-spot correction is unlikely to be of much effect.

In the years that I have been in the Society, I have become used to civility, courtesy and chivalry that is sadly lacking in mundane life.  It is therefore all the more jarring when some of those with whom we associate decide that the mores of common courtesy do not apply to them, and that they may behave in any manner that pleases them.  I myself am far from being a saint (just ask my lady!), but I do try to remind myself to adhere to the Golden Rule:  Treat others as you wish to be treated.  I find that I don't go far wrong if I stick to this.  The incident that you've recounted reminds me that I need watch myself to make sure that I am not spoiling someone else's enjoyment of the Dream.

"Lord, please make me patient and tolerant -right now and no excuses!"

Padraig

--
Nunc Est Bibendum