ANST - On Another subject entirely

Trish Kvamme ladyoftherose at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 1 17:01:34 PDT 2000

I find much amusement in what people are referring to as "the olden days".

While I have played a long time (I started the SCA as a very young person)
and last time I took a look in the mirror I wasn't "old" *Laugh*, in all the
Kingdom's I have played in, in all the events I have attended, there is
absolutely no more activities than there was when I wandered to my first
event in 1981.

There have always been scribes workshops, heraldic consultations, equestrian
activities, light weapons of one form or another, arts and sciences
competitions, children's activities, a heavy weapons list, feasts, courts,
Crown's and just about anything else you can come up with.

So I say "horse pucky".

While some of these things come and go, like equestrian arts, (which I am
thrilled to say seems to be here in full force), how many of you remember
the shinai phase hmmmmm???  There has always been plenty of distractions.

The newest thing I can come up with on my list of "new to do" is rapier, and
in this Kingdom, it has been a grand force for quite some time now.

I am not sure where the legend that "in the ancient days oh, 10/20 years ago
we all just sat around and watched the list field came from." But I am here
to tell you, and I betcha there are alot of pictures around to prove it,
that all these activities have been around as long as fighters, consorts,
and list fields.

Being vastly amused over here....

Larissa