ANST - On Another subject entirely

Pookie Pookie-W at home.com
Fri Jun 2 06:55:28 PDT 2000

> Maybe we have had different experiences or maybe we just recall things
> differently, but my memories of SCA events starting in AS XII are that we
> didn't do fewer things, we just were less likeley to do them all at the
same
> time than we do now. We would have a heavy weapons list, then a rapier
list,
> and then a bardic competition, or a dance class, or some other activity.
And,
> of course, feasts and courts were and are still held at a different time
than
> lists. The SCA has become in all ways a more complex organism as it has
grown
> and matured over the years. >

I have only been playing in the SCA for about 6 years and in these 6 years I
have seen changes as well. I remember in my SCA beginning that the lists
were rarely scheduled at the same time thus allowing people to participate
and observe in multiple activities. Sometimes this ment at one event (and I
will let everyone know my SCAing is rather limited to local, I dont get to
travel much due to mundane employment) a list wouldnt be as long, or in some
cases they were alternated. Now it seems when I go to an event I  must
choose what I wish to do/see. And it saddens me at times that I am forced to
make a choice. I love watching the heavy and light weapons as well as
participating in archery, I like seeing the A&S and attempting now and then
to enter in A&S. I love dancing as well as bardic. Yet almost every event
the last couple years I am made to chose what I want to do because the lists
all run at the same times more often than not. I can either watch the
fighting or participate in archery but not both. My Lord Husband no longer
fights due to physical problems at the moment so I am not in conflict with
that decision (yet!) but when he begins fighting again then what? Another
bridge to cross when that time comes I guess.
I am by no means an old timer, but I also remember when court was earlier
(in our area anyway) and feast was held afterwards allowing folks time to
mingle and chit chat etc etc. This made for more enjoybale feasts as well as
courts.
Guess I am rambeling but wanted to add my 2 cents into the kitty.

Lady MagD'Leigha Mac an Ghabhann