ANST - Re: Rude Laurel?

C. L. Ward gunnora at realtime.net
Fri Jun 2 13:55:39 PDT 2000

It was alleged:
>We both set and fumed for awhile, then she and
>her companion (the Laurel) were called into
>Court. As they left he said "Oh, (explete
>deleted), don't tell me that fat cow is getting a
>award!" When asked by someone else who he was
>speaking of, he said "That bloated pustule that
>told me to shut up! How about we split her open
>and see what she is made of?"
>I almost went to His Majesty for redress of the
>situation, then and there. I moved, instead.

While I can imagine someone being rude, I know all our male Laurels and not
one of them would ever say anything like this, I don't think.  For that
matter, I am perhaps one of the least demure of the female Laurels, and I
wouldn't say such a thing myself! Has some embellishment been added here?

Why *didn't* you go to the Crown?  or any of the other Laurels or Peers?  I
guarantee that the Laurels' Circle does take time to curb bad behavior by
our fellows. For that matter, why didn't you speak up and ask the fellow
for an apology?  Did you talk to him directly about his behavior?  Sitting
around fuming about it, then backbiting by an anonymous denouncement on
this list is not a particularly good method of handling a situation like
this.  It certainly doesn't prevent the guy from further bad behavior, now
does it?  If you felt that you could not, for whatever reason, work out the
problem with this man yourself, you should have immediately sought a
champion to referee for you and then gone with the champion and spoken to
the fellow that day, or later when you were calmer.  Doing nothing about
the affront, then complaining about it in a forum where the person accused
can't defend themselves is every bit as bad as the fellow's rudeness, and
frankly exacerbates the problem, and does nothing whatsoever to rectify it
for the future.

If the lady who narrated this will contact me off-list, and tell me exactly
who, and exactly what was said, I certainly will address the matter with
the Laurel(s) in question.  Ideally, I would sit the lady down and the
Laurel face-to-face and see it worked out, but I'll certainly follow up on
the issue.

I am of a couple of minds about talking at the back of court.  If the Court
Business cannot be conducted in such a way as to be clearly heard, then
yes, people at the back can't hear and will get bored and talk, preventing
others from hearing.  I am frequently guilty of this, though I wouldn't
have been so nasty about it had others asked me to be quiet -- I'd have
just moved elsewhere.  I do have to agree, however, that if you can't hear,
and want to, you should move closer.  Perhaps it should be understood that
there will be a "talking area" at the back of court where *quiet*
conversations can be held and the attendees can still see what's going on
even if it cannot be heard.  Those who want to actually hear court *do*
need to move up closer -- realistically, if you want to hear, that is what
you are going to have to do.

As large as the kingdom is getting to be, we need to train the Royalty to
PROJECT better so They can be heard clear to the back.  Court Heralds need
to recap for the populace any discussions held quietly before the thrones
so that the populace knows what is going on.  Maybe we need to station a
pair of heralds halfway back in the populace whose duty it is to relay info
to the back about what is going on in court.  Perhaps a conversational area
further away with seating could be reserved for those who want to talk. But
what we do *NOT* need to do about it is to whine about it!  *DO* something
actively to help remedy the situation.

Please do contact me privately at <gunnora at realtime.net> and I will help
you take up the issue with the gentleman in question.  It is the job of a
peer and a noble to act as champion for others when needed.  Don't let a
situation fester, don't whine about it -- be proactive and address the
issue and seek a remedy, whether you do it yourself or get help!

::GUNNORA::

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Baroness Gunnora Hallakarva, OL
Lion of Ansteorra
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)