ANST - Re handling bad problems.

jonwillowpel at juno.com jonwillowpel at juno.com
Sat Jun 3 20:07:03 PDT 2000

Hi this is Willow

I know that there has been a lot of  good advice given over how to handle
rude people. I not sure about it all but I know that it was  kingdom law
once and Corporate policy that the first step is always to take the
problem to the person.  Feelings sometimes run high is tight knit groups
and sometimes all of us say something bad about someone else. We also
forget that we aren't in our own homes and that people can hear us. Open
air and tent walls don't stop sound.  You might not make the person
change their opinion but you might make them more aware of their
surroundings and make them watch their comments in the future. I am sure
that the people who were overheard weren't planning on making their
comments public.
 Be careful though sometimes in trying to fix a problem we make another
one. People join the SCA for many reasons. One of the main reasons is our
code of behavior. We claim to believe in courtesy.  When we speak with
discourtesy or speak in tones that imply discourtesy we often become
"dream killers" to the people around us. If you must speak to someone
about a problem try to do in such a way that involves the least amount of
people as possible. The magic of Ansteorra is very fragile and it is easy
to kill someone's dream. Just because you are working for a good cause
does not keep you from doing harm to the other people around the
situation.

Wisdom comes from making a mistake so often that you learn ( ?) better.
Willow