ANST - Newcomer Maintenance Programs....

Celeste Courtenay de Montmorency montomorency at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 8 01:48:15 PDT 2000

Greetings!

I am Lady Celeste Courtenay de Montmorency of the Barony of Eldern Hills.
Sometime in the beginning of my time as hospitaler I did a mentor program.
The barony put requirements on the mentors that I could use. They said that
mentors had to have been in the SCA for over three years. They also had to
already have their AOAs. There was another requirement but I don't remember
what it was. I perfectly understand their reasons for doing this but it
caused a lot of problems. It severely limited the number of people that I
could use. The way the program worked is that I would match a newcomer with
a mentor based on their interests. For example, I tried to match someone
interested in cooking with someone who was known for medieval cooking. This
was a good idea on the surface. It didn't work because I only had about 5
people at that time that I could use for mentors. The result was that I
would have too many people assigned to one mentor. It was just too much. We
just discussed having this program again and trying it a different way. We
are going to discuss it in more detail at our next officer's meeting. After
that, I'll let you know the details.

I used to have newcomer's meetings twice a month. I don't anymore because no
one was showing up. It's hard around here to match schedules when a decent
number of people can actually make guild meetings.

                     Lady Celeste
                Hospitaler of the Barony of Eldern Hills