ANST - Newcomer Maintenance Programs....

Donna Wallis mama_mac at airmail.net
Thu Jun 8 08:18:13 PDT 2000

Thank you, Donnel.

House Mac an Ghabhann is the welcoming committee (because a member of House
Mac "usually" holds the office of Hospitaler) from the Canton of Loch Ruadh
within the Barony of Elfsea.

We take a newcomer by the hand to meetings, workshops, fighter practices,
events and Court.  Generally this person is paired up with someone who has
the same interests.  This is usually figured out after a populace meeting.
We always go for coffee after our meeting and newcomer's are always issued a
"special invitation" to join us.  This is important because, when I first
became interested in the SCA I felt very much like an intruder!  So we that
extra effort to include newcomers and make them feel welcome.  We not only
answer questions, we also ask questions.  This let's a newcomer know "you"
are interested in them.

We then make sure they have a local newsletter, the calendar along with
names and phone numbers is important.  We also make sure we have their
contact information.  We call to remind them of upcoming meetings.

We make sure they are ready for that first event.  We help them gather
and/or furnish garb, feast gear, and if camping, camping gear.  Troll/gate
is a scary place for newcomers, if you haven't explained all those blanks
they are expected to fill-in!!!  We try to hold  their hands until they feel
comfortable going out on their own.

I could go on and on....my best advice is:   remember what it was like to be
a newcomer,  we were all there once.

Dana Mac Ghabhann
AKA  Mama Mac