ANST - thoughts on what is the sca all about ...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Thu Jun 8 11:36:29 PDT 2000

something along the lines "... to thine own self be true", eh?

(g)

one dynamic that has always seemed obvious to me, is that the scadian
world is primarily made up of intelligent seekers.

most have been alienated from society at large (no surprises there,
can't see how *any* intelligent person would not be alienated by the
popular culture of the last few decades).  this alienation & seeking
manifests in *many* areas - the beat movement (literary / cultural),
early rock-n-roll rebellion (artistic / cultural), 60's counter
culture, new age movement (religious / philosophical)., biker,
goth/punk, .... and in this group is scadia.

further, i can see two distict types within ... those seeking
"asylum" from the world and those that seek to enhance aspects of
self while keeping other areas outside the sca active.  the former
often manifests in the total-immersion "live the dream" mindset
verses the later "hobbyist".  from as long as i've been inside, there
has been at best a uneasy truce between the two camps.  but seems
over last years, the sca seems attracting more and more seeking total
refuge. along with this seems to be a rising intolerance of those who
are not 100% 24/7 committed to the sca.  this is a concern of many of
those i correspond with especially as the "cult level" of behavior
seems on the rise (won't go into the various cult evaluation
frameworks, they're out on the internet for those interested)

problem is that scadian is many things to many people.  it is such a
wide ranging environment (as it was designed and evolved) that one
can find unique things that are relevent.  problem is what is primary
for me is not primary for you ... my definitions of concept "x" is
different from your's.  is this a bad thing?  not at all.... that'
one reason i stay is that i *love* the many interpretations and the
sometimes reasoned and often impassioned debate on these differences
of opinions (keltoi blood i think) ... it reminds me of the old
university years when i could develop and test my understandings
against my peers (the "crucible" i mentioned elesewhere)

it also is a space that makes room for many of the deep meta-programs
("personal honor" in relationship to this thread)that are
increasingly squeezed out in the modern world.  also and very
importantly, it's a venue that has historically allowed room for the
radical and sometimes outre' individual to carve a niche for
themselves, especially those of us of the wolfling persuasion (g).
it has tolerated those of us with strong opinion and a willingness to
state our minds freely irregardless of the current politics or rising
star-courts of public opinion.

to those who share these borderlands, ride free along the edges and
be well my brothers and sisters!  stay well clear of "civilization",
it is a deadly trap will weaken and ultimately destry you if you stay
inside those walls for too long a time.

'wolf
... has always prided self in being "barbarian" (check your OED's for
deeper meanings of the term)