No subject

Riane le Cygne rianed at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 8 12:19:29 PDT 2000

I think we can all agree that the crusades were a bloody and devastating
enterprise that were perverted by the church and served as a means by which
one group of people exerted their power, authority, customs, laws, and
beliefs onto another weaker group of peoples.

However I do think her Grace's idea is being of a "Crusade" is being taken
to an extreme. She is suggesting a movement to encourage not enforce
courtesy throughout the kingdom. I know she is not suggesting a gestapo
force of courtsey troopers that beat down those they find crude. What is
wrong with the idea of supporting a movement that encourages it's members to
wear a favor as a reminder to themselves that courtesy and chivalry are not
dead? On the flip side I can also see those who choose to wear the favor as
targets for the prejudices of others.  What's wrong with participating in an
endeavor based on the idea that courtesy and  manners are the tool we use to
make others feel comfortable, that we should treat all we come in contact
with as we wish to be treated?

As I understand it the SCA is based on the landed nobility of the Middle
Ages, their customs, ideals, and pagentry. It seems that many people are
opposed to her Grace's idea on the basis that the term "Crusade" refers to a
savage and bloody period in history. That being the case do we object to the
Lord who adopts a Norse persona because the Vikings raped and pillaged. Or
do we object to the local group who wishes to recreate a battle at Jerusalem
because the Crusades were perverted by the church and were an example of one
nation of people exerting it power, authority, customs, and ideals onto a
weaker one. Perhaps we should just object to the structure of our society
itself because it is based on the landed nobility who exerted their power
over the masses to tend their crops and manors.

We've certainly had commentary on this list of those within our group who
titled or not have acted or spoke in a less than courteous or chivalric
manner. I'd be willing to bet everyone here has seen some form of perversion
of power and influence within the scope of their participation in the SCA.
An idea even one with good intentions can be perverted by the people who
strive to realize it. With that in mind, do we avoid trying to enrich our
kingdom, because it could potentially be perverted and corrupted, or do we
at least make the effort to put aside our doubts and cynicism on the chance
that what we hope to encourage will flourish and enrich our society.

Riane