ANST - Tournament Company

Rolf Kvamme baron_duncan at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 12 09:59:30 PDT 2000

Thank you for all the wonderfull responses on the tournament company.

I am finishing up the charter and it should be available soon.  The company
will be in two parts and memebers may particitpate in both or just one.

The first will be a Renne D' Anjou style torunamnet company, with the time
periods of 1350 to 1500.

The second will be a William Marshall style tournament company, with the
time periods of 1150 to 1300.

We are shooting for the ten foot rule, so no tennis shoes or hiking boots.
Period shoes/boots and reasonable looking boots like the east german officer
or highway patrol boots are acceptable.  There are plenty of people that can
help with regard without having to shell out a bundle of cash. Gauntlets are
a must, again there are members who can help construct them. Exposed plastic
or blaringly mundane items are a no go (hockey gloves bad, plastic arm
harnes exposed bad...plastic brigandine that no can see the plates ok,
Plastic cuisse properly coverd with velvet etc ok). Hidden items are ok but
more period items are encouraged. Renee D'Anjou illustrates and mentions
cuirbolli sport armour,  alot of us already use leather in our current
harnesses so thats not a problem.  Definately greaves though.  Not alot of
trouble to make up a quick leather greave.  Period tourny sir coats can hide
a multitude of ugly "sins".  Closed face helms and great bascients with
grills are perfect. Open lower faced sallets, burbutes with a bar or two or
open faced bascinets are ok. For william marshal style tournamnets great
helms or sugar loafs of one style or another is the norm. These helms are
easy to make and stylize, and members will be available to help. Last but
not least a cross hilted sword and wooden shield of period size will be the
norm. We should all have ganutlets already and a wooden shield is cheap.

This higher standard isnt for everyone, and we wont expect it of our
friendly competitors, but the time and effort is well worth it. For those
who are a ways off and the means arent there, I armour and will help anyone
who just has the interest.

Even I dont fit the bill right off, but with a little work we can all get
there.

Duncan