ANST - Dance Idea

gptaylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Thu Jun 29 07:25:36 PDT 2000

I had an idea the other day, that may be useful in attracting new
members:

A Evening of period Dance.  Announce it on the local public radio
station/NPR and/or put it in the newspaper.  Make it free.  Mention that
the dances will be taught.  Having live musicians there would be an even
greater draw.  Do a brief, educational intro to each dance.  Have enough
of the people from your group who know what is going on, to help and
dilute out the new dancers.  Make sure that the folks who are teaching
it are warm and entertaining.  Have a little table with SCA information
off to the side....recruitment should be very low key.  If you wanted to
make a little money, set up a small concession stand.  I don't know if a
bake sale is allowed for something we offer publically (health dept),
but that could be a possibility, also.

Something like this would actually work for some A&S activities, also.
For example, locally we had a Fiber Arts collegium.  We probably would
have attracted at least 10 additional outside folk, if we had advertised
it enough in the public sector...

Inviting local musicians to participate in an evening of period music
might also draw some new folk.  Have some of our better musicians put
together sheet music, etc., advertise on public radio, and see who shows
up.  Rather like a drop-in period jam session....

Or, have a period song singing night of the same type.

In all of these cases, the people attracted would already have an
interest in period activities....

Isobel Hadleigh
Acting Kingdom Hospitaler