ANST - RE: ST - Steppes Warlord

Brent Ryder borekvv at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 8 14:12:23 PST 2000

>From: "Weiszbrod, Barbara A (Barbara)" <baw2 at lucent.com>
>To: "'steppes at ansteorra.org'" <steppes at ansteorra.org>
>Subject: RE: ST - Steppes Warlord
>Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 13:15:34 -0600

>>I am still working on the gate fee and if we want to take >>reservations
>

>I travel a lot, and talk to a lot of people from all over the >Kingdom, and
>one thing that I have heard over and over again is that >they find it
>offensive that they are charged an extra $5 to go to a >camping event with
>out a reservation.  They don't mind paying extra >when there is a feast
>involved; they know that increasing the charge >at the door increases the
>reservations and that gives the cook a >better idea of how many people to
>prepare for.  When it is just for >camping, however,  it comes across as
>the Steppes just looking to >make even more money on what is  probably the
>most profitable yearly >event in the Kingdom.

Hmmmm..... I have been reading the responses to this and have found all of
them against having pre-reservation. The way I have thought about it is as
an encouragement for people to let us know they are coming and allow some of
the work involved in running gate to be stream lined. If the gate people do
not have a problem with doing it all at gate, then I do not have a problem
with no pre-reservation. From what I can tell, there is little interest in
doing it any way as there are few who do.

The other side of this is to look at it not that we are trying to charge
more, but to charge less for those who have enough foresight and courtesy to
make our jobs a little easier to do by allowing us to stream line the gate
process, and make any extra preparations needed in case there is a larger
turnout than has been expected. Of course, being one of the 'doers', I am a
little biased on this point.

>Just passing on the opinions that have been expressed to me.

And that is why I have sent this reply across Ansteorra

HL Borek Vitalievich Volkov, CSM
Warlord Event Steward
Apprentice to Sheik Da'ud ibn Auda, al-Jamal Herald

The supreme happiness of life is
the conviction of being loved for yourself,
or more correctly, being loved in spite of yourself.
                               ~Victor Hugo~