ANST - Gulf War IX--Your King's Thoughts

CraigCC at aol.com CraigCC at aol.com
Mon Mar 20 08:20:48 PST 2000

Unto the Populace of Ansteorra do Alaric and Kayleigh send Warmest Greetings!!

    To paraphrase Shakespeare, those that were unfortunate enough not to be
able to attend War this year will, I believe, forever curse the ill fortunes
that kept them from  the fields of Meridies at Gulf War IX.

    Ansteorra, read these words and be certain of the veracity:
YOU ARE A NATION OF HEROES!!  WE SALUTE AND LOVE ALL OF OUR NOBLE SUBJECTS!!

    Please find included below a (relatively) quick synopsis of the events of
this, the War in which Ansteorra reclaimed here rightful place among the
warrior Kingdoms of the Knowne World:

1.  Weather--   It rained twice, during the evening Wednesday and Saturday
night.  Neither, it turned out, was at all debilitating or lengthy.  It
remained pleasantly warm day and night.

2.  The results of the war: an OVERWHELMING tie...

3.  The Chivalric battles-- Directly before the beginning of "hostilities" it
was discovered that Ansteorra alliances with the Kingdoms of Atlantia, the
East, the Midrealm, the West, Calontir, Caid, the Outlands, Atenveldt and
Drachenwald had netted us (along with Our own warriors) roughly 400
combatants.  Unfortunately,  Trimaris' Allies include only the Prince of the
Middle and Aethelmearc.  This yielded only about 180 fighters for our foes.
To compensate, We went to the King of Meridies, and asked him to give ALL of
his 200+ fighters to Trimaris.  He agreed, and the War was made numerically
even.

    a)  The Resurrection Battle-    A hour-long battle that went back and
forth for the first 45 minutes.  In the end, a strong push by our forces
captured and held the middle flag and won the day.  The incredible outpouring
of jubilation was astonishing and counts among the most meaningful events I
have ever witnessed.

    b)  The Open Field Battle-      A best 2 out of 3 battle that,
well...only went to 2 battles.  The first battle was decided when the two
large flanking units the foe sent forth were stopped or destroyed by our own
flanking units.  This allowed Calontir to sweep up the remnants at achieve
victory.  The second battle was very close, and ended up virtually down to
our last few fighters vs. their last few fighters.  Once again, We were
victorious.

    c)  The Castle Battles-         We began inside, but immediately sallied
out and engaged the foe (especially the archers and siege engines).  Keeping
Calontir and the Royal Guard in reserve, we were able to keep attriting the
remaining foe until we once again sallied out and destroyed their remaining
forces.  As most of you know, this is the first time in MANY years that we
were able to withstand Trimaris and retain the castle.  After the last foeman
was slain, We witnessed the single most emotional celebration We have ever
seen in our time in the Society.  God, it is great to be an Ansteorran.

    The second battle proved more difficult and, as has been previously
reported, We were again unable to take the castle.  I guess we had to leave
SOMETHING for next year, didn't we...?

    d)  The Champions Battle-   Although closer than usual, we were
eventually victorious in this tournament of champions.  Of particular note
was now-Sir Romanius' display of great chivalry upon the field.
Congratulations my friend, thanks for reaffirming Our decision.

4.  The Rapier Melees-      I will attempt to keep this brief, because Her
Majesty will kill me if I reveal too many juicy details before she gets home.
 For now, lets just say that the foe didn't stand a chance.  The skill of our
rapierists is legendary throughout the Knowne World.  The combat at Gulf War
showed that this reputation is quite justified.  We are both extremely proud
of Our entire rapier community.

5.  A+S-    Once again, the skill of out artisans was victorious and we won
both war points in this category.  The A+S champions battle was handily won
and we even had 3 artisans given perfect scores!  I would ask that our
Laurels who actually judged
this competition give a more detailed report.
    In addition, although Trimaris was victorious (by one point) in the
performing arts competition, when the scores for the champions and the
performers was tallied, Ansteorra took the day.  I would like to commend all
of Our performers for their fine and inspirational  performances!
    Finally, in the open A+S melees, we easily proved victorious and took
that war point as well.

6.  Volunteers-     I know for a fact that a cadre of our subjects spent
virtually the entire war volunteering their time and services to Our cause
and the War.  Although we actually lost this point (hey, Meridies does get a
LOT of points for running the darn thing ;) ) this does NOT reflect any lack
of hard work and effort on the part of ourselves or Our allies.

7.  Equestrian-     I have heard numerous differing opinions regarding the
outcome of this war point.  Suffice it to say that our riders skillfully ran
their courses and challenges with great flair and panache.  Also, I LOVED the
charging lancers on the field Friday morning.

8.  Archery and Live Weapons-   As of the time of my departure, I STILL had
not received a reliable tally of who this point went to.  If someone
eventually found out, could they please post this?

    In conclusion, I know that many other happenings went on at this grand
War.  We look forward to hearing about even more heroic exploits of Our
subjects.  Also, Congratulations to the Arthurian Guard of Elfsea who,
through bravery and skill, was awarded the King's Battle Ribbon.

FOR THE PEOPLE OF ANSTEORRA...  VIVAT, VIVAT, VIVAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alaric and  Kayleigh
King   and  Queen