ANST - war points

STDRLC13 STDRLC13 at shsu.edu
Tue Mar 21 08:21:12 PST 2000

I'd like to throw in my two cents if nobody minds. I feel that  m'lady
Clarissa (my apologies for leaving out other honorifics, I don't know
what she's got) has a very good point. Since when did winning
become"bad"? Isn't part of chivalry having the maturity to win and lose
gracefully? By not declaring a winner I think that we do all the
participants of Gulf war a disservice. There's nothing wrong with
acknowledging another's superiority, whether it's Ansteorra or Trimaris
or Meridies...... the point is that we, as mature adults, ought to be
able to admit that even at our best there is room for improvement. If
everyone  "knows" who came out on top then where is the harm in publicly
announcing who won? The gentleman who said that part of the fun is to
acknowledge a good hit and then go have a beer together is absolutely
right. It is as much an honor for me to admit defeat to a truly superior
foe as it is to be the recipient of the victory. If you've done your
best then there is no shame in losing....a goodly part of the fun lies
in the striving. Also, contesting with others by fighting or through the
Arts and Sciences is  a good way to find out where your own weaknesses
are and to improve those weaknesses. As for Gulf war not continuing if a
winner is declared....Pennsic has a winner and they've been  putting
that war on at least as long as Gulf has been happening. As for the wars
with the  Middle and the Outlands ending the year that Ansteorra
dominated....well ...so long as the judging was sound and the fighting
honorable...those things happen sometimes. If the attitude being
displayed by the other kingdoms was " you wouln't let me win so I won't
play with you anymore"  then  bad on them. On the other hand if
Ansteorra was obnoxious enough in her victory to chase her opponent
away   then bad on us. If  one kingdom loses the war one year don't you
think the likely response will be to come back the next year twice as
good? Trimaris has been a good and worthy for ( from what I've heard)
why would they change just because they'll lose occasionally?(Yes gang
Ansteorra will lose sometimes too).